X

help please bike misfiring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please bike misfiring

hi im wondering if someone could help please . i have just put my bike back on the road after being off the road for the winter, i had added a fuel stabilizer to the fuel that was in the tank over the winter i started it up every 2 weeks , on taking the bike out today and going for a run it seemed to be only firing on three cylinders, so i put in a new set of NGK irridium plugs , it didnt help anyway i took it for a run and as long as im doing 40 mph plus it seems to run okay as if all cylinders firing and no lack of power , but when i drop below to 30mph in town it doesnt sound right starts spluttering and sounds as if it was running on three cylinders i did about 10 miles in the hope it would clear itself after the winter lay up but didnt. any advice on what i should try would be appreciated . cheers

Carbs (or one carb) could've been gummed up. Doesn't take much or long of sitting in order for it to get nasty.

Check your spark plug wires, boots, and all the connections inbetween. Verify that it is firing (or not) on certain cylinders by taking a spray bottle to the exhaust manifolds. Should be hard to start if it truly isn't consistently firing on all four. I say check the wires and their connections to the boots because corrosion could've caused the wire to carry less voltage to the plug. A surefire symptom of this issue is that if you have the brake light, high-beam, and turn signal on while idling it will over the course of a about two minutes will die on you (ask me how I know).
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

thank you for the help i will check these things over tommorow and see how things go , thanks again

Comment

try a heavy dose of Seafoam in the gas.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I'd start with fresh gas in a clean tank before trouble shooting any other issues.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hi guys, thanks again for all your replys just to give you an update on the bike i started it today and did the test with the water spray bottle cylinders 2, 3, and 4 working okay as when i sprayed the water on downpipes it dried on contact cylinder 1 the water ran down the pipe so removed the plug and turned bike over and plug sparking okay, also the plug was dry when i removed it . so it looks like no fuel from the carb on that cylinder . i have removed the carbs ready for strip down and clean , i will let you know how i get on . i did replace all the fuel in tank that was in tank over the winter with new fuel, i should of mentioned in my first post but cheers for that krey. thanks again

Comment

help please

im wondering what i should do now this has been a nightmare of day, i thought i would start cleaning the carbs ready to go back on the bike , everything was goin fine until i started putting the cleaned jets back into the carbs while i put one of the jets back in it snapped in half leaving half down inside , i dont know what jet its called but looking at the botton of the carb with the float bowl removed its not the centre one but the one beside it long thin jet . i dont want to try taking it ouit incase i damage carb body does anyone one know what i should do . im a total loss . cheers everyone

Comment

that sounds like the pilot jet. that's a toughy. how did you break it? did you over tighten it, or maybe crossthread it? hmmm.... that's gunna be tough to get out if its torqued in there real good. arsenic or krey may have a suggestion.
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                  that sounds like the pilot jet. that's a toughy. how did you break it? did you over tighten it, or maybe crossthread it? hmmm.... that's gunna be tough to get out if its torqued in there real good. arsenic or krey may have a suggestion.

It's got a hole in the jet already, so you just need to lightly tap a thin square rod or a thin easy out/extractor into the hole of the broken jet, and gently turn it out.

Then replace with a new jet.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hi, i managed to get it out as you said and the thread is okay . many thanks

Comment

hi can anyone tell me the size of the pilot jet i need for my bike , ive contacted a local dealer and they require the numbers on it and i tried but cant read them my bike is a gsx600f fk2 uk model thank you

Comment

Scroll down till you find your bike, and wala.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                        X