No announcement yet.
X

82 gs1000sz finally taking shape

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update as of today, Got some work done on rear fender and inner fender, battery box, bar controls, wiring harness, coils, clip ons and front calipers. Speedo is almost done, need two long skinny screws that hold down the gear and then I will mount it on the bike.

One internal spade connector in left control harness was unusable so I snipped the wire, added 4 inches of same color from another sacrificial harness and installed quick connects for easy servicing. Rebuilt taillight with donor parts as well and started going through diagram and cleaning up old connections and figuring out what goes where.

Good weekend. Got more done than I thought even if a lot of busy work doesn't jump out at you.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by branumhawk; 08-03-2014, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Looks like your making good progress. Keep up the good work.
      GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Dog,

Are you changing out your needles on the speedometer? I made the ones pictured from a plastic lid from Hot Chinese mustard bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
          Dog,

Are you changing out your needles on the speedometer? I made the ones pictured from a plastic lid from Hot Chinese mustard bottle.
          I wasn't planning on changing them out, hence the apprehension pulling them off to replace the face.

Those look good, I had to go back and look at the pic to see that they weren't original.

Comment

It took a bit of shaping with 200 down to 600 sandpaper to get burrs, indentations out and get the shape I wanted. I cut them a little wide so I some meat to work with in getting the shape.

I have seen the little swords but working with something that small, it didn't take me long to give up on that pipe dream. The look of stock or close to it is the look I want anyway.

Shafts that the needle bases go over are tiny. They bend easily, glad they are made of spring steel. By far the scariest part of procedure.

Both my needles were broken off completely, so I didn't have to worry about damage to them.

Good luck Bro.

Comment

can you show a picture of the mustard bottle lid you used? I'm going to have to make a pair of needles for mine as well.

Comment

I don't usually keep leftovers, but I do have a piece of that lid left. A rigid plastic lid was what I was looking for and the only good candidate in the fridge was Chinese hot mustard.
                Attached Files

Comment

I don't usually keep leftovers, but I do have a piece of that lid left. A rigid plastic lid was what I was looking for and the only good candidate in the fridge was Chinese hot mustard.
                  I never thought of looking for parts for my motorcycle in the fridge....lol! That opens up a whole new world of part hunting.

Comment

Almost sorted out on the harness. Have an issue with start button not sending power to solenoid. Simple little sucker, but it doesn't want to work. Took it apart a couple times, got power coming in on orange but no go to the yellow with green. Time to grill some redfish dinner so that will have to wait till next time

Got lights on instrumentation and I filled the hole the PO cut in top of cowl for aftermarket speedo with some fiberglass to give it strength and then used some metal glaze to give me a workable surface. Almost ready for paint. I ordered Alpine Silver metallic to bump up the body work just a notch over frame color. Down to final prep on bodywork. Another shot of X2 primer, sand and shoot.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Almost sorted out on the harness. Have an issue with start button not sending power to solenoid. Simple little sucker, but it doesn't want to work. Took it apart a couple times, got power coming in on orange but no go to the yellow with green. Time to grill some redfish dinner so that will have to wait till next time

Got lights on instrumentation and I filled the hole the PO cut in top of cowl for aftermarket speedo with some fiberglass to give it strength and then used some metal glaze to give me a workable surface. Almost ready for paint. I ordered Alpine Silver metallic to bump up the body work just a notch over frame color. Down to final prep on bodywork. Another shot of X2 primer, sand and shoot.
                      Did you try cleaning the switch? I had them not work due to dirt and oxidation.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_dog View Post
                        Did you try cleaning the switch? I had them not work due to dirt and oxidation.
                        Hey Dog,

I cleaned the little copper hat that fits in the button and makes contact with the board. The copper on board appears to fold down a little where it joins the trigger wire, the copper clad surface is only as big as a pea with little tail going toward wire. It is very thin and old I may attempt to rebuild the connection with a little solder. There is a post in the middle of contact and it may be substantial enough to work from. If not I will get another right hand control. Only other issue in there is clutch switch from what I can see. Will look at it closer next go round, that was right before dinner.

Someone on here talked about Ferrari alpine sliver on one of their Katana's looking great, so I got some. Apparently 99 Lexus used same paint.

Comment

Keep us posted, maybe shoot a pic or two.

Comment

Got sidetracked and deer season is upon me. Have the body work done and paint job should be done pretty soon. Will post some pics when I get it. Wiring is just about done and the motor turns, tracking down some issues with the controls.

Comment

I was just thinking about your bike the other day, wondering how you are coming....

Comment

Hey dog, I should have some pics of the paint work real soon. Been awhile since I posted, and awhile since I did anything major on the bike. I could rattle off the list projects, repairs and situations that has kept me away from the project, but don't want to bore anyone.

What bike is consuming your time and attention these days. Old motorcycles are living room art at my house.

Comment

Working...
                                X