DIY mechanic

**** Difficult, suitable for
    experienced DIY
    mechanic

***** Very Difficult,
    suitable for expert DIY
    or professional

Degree of Difficulty - ****

okay I have only done this on a 600 so I can't speak for anything but the 600. First thing first, the intake manifold. The pre 98 600 from 88-89 is Mikuni BST31SS, from 90-97 it's BST33SS, the 98+ 600 is BSR32SS. So you need the 98+ intake boots and probably the clamps too, I just played it safe and got them, actually I have a 98+ cylinder head. If you want to use a pre 98 head you need the 98+ intake boots.
    Next you need the 98+ air box boots, I just got a 98+ used air box on ebay, the box is the same, the boots however are different. So now you have the correct intake and air box boots for the 98+ carbs.
    Now move on to fuel delivery. The pre 98 600 carbs (well 90-97) have 2 fuel lines coming off the petcock, and 2 fuel lines at the carbs. The 98+ petcock and 600 carbs have 1 fuel line. So unless you want to use the pre 98 600 petcock and "T" the 2 fuel lines into 1 you need the 98+ petcock as well.
    Moving on to electrical, you have 3 options here. The 98+ carbs use a push/pull throttle cable set up, the pre 98 set up only uses a pull cable. So:
    1. - Use the pre 98 wiring harness along with the pre 98 handle bar switch and use just 1 throttle cable. Just leave the TPS unplugged, you do not need it.
    2. - Use the pre 98 wiring harness with the 98+ handle bar switch so you can use 2 throttle cables. I have not tried this but Sin tells me the 98+ handle bar switch is the same plug as the pre 98 so you can use that with the pre 98 harness. Again just leave the TPS unplugged.
    3. - Use a 98+ harness. When using a 98+ harness EVERYTHING must be 98+ CDI, alternator, fuse box (which is not detachable from the 98+ harness), relays. starter relay, battery, EVERYTHING, the only things that can stay pre are the ignition coils and the starting motor. With the 98+ harness you can use the TPS, with a 98+ CDI I think you have to. With the 98+ harness you will then have to use the cross over to use the pre 98 gauges, unless you use the 98+ gauges, but that would require you to use the 98+ speed sensor rotor, speed sensor, and 98+ sprocket cover.
    4. If doing this on an 88 600, the left handle bar switch does not have a choke cable, to accomadate for the choke on a 98+ set of carbs you need the 89-97 Katana 600 left handle bar switch.
    I think I have explained everything, if I forgot something, I will add it.
    Last edited by arsenic; 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM.
Working...
X