Dupli-Color paint?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dupli-Color paint?

So i read Lou's How to paint the bike.
    He states he likes Dupli-Color primer and paint the best. Which kind of this brand should i use? I went to the auto-parts store today and there are like 3 different kinds of Dupli-Color paint AND primer. None of them semed to be right though.

Go to Dupli-Color's website...

If you see somethiing you like, your local retailer should be able to get it for you.
    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
    BMC Notorious 918 HT
    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Im asking which TYPE not which COLOR. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Also if you don't want to spend too much on the primer, I have used Rustoleum auto primer with the Duplicolor with good results.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

do i use the auto paint?

Comment

Originally posted by snypez View Post
            do i use the auto paint?
            I did and it worked fine. I have to be honest though, the clear leaves a bit to be desired when shot from a rattle can. It works but not the greatest.
            Some people carry on
            Some just stay right where they are
            Our worlds divide

Comment

I used duplicolor awhile ago to repaint a urethane valance on my dakota. I had good results with the primer, paint, but the clearcoat did not turn out. I have gone since to getting an air compressor, an auto-grade spray gun, and lots of practice. I am no professional by sorts, and I will actually be posting up the f'up I had in a decently expensive paint job on my kat. But back to the point, Most of the time, a paintjob is only going to turn out as good as what went into, the paint has some to do with it, but prep work is key as many members will tell you. Unless you sand, prime, and follow all prep instructions, even temperature, it will not turn out unless your lucky. Duplicolor is good paint, (even with my bad luck), and you may also try Omni Automotive paint, its easy to learn, easy to mix, and easy to shoot when you use a basecoat clearcoat type.
              Currently Riding:
              1995 Katana 600
              V&H Exhaust
              Jet Kit

SOLD
              2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
              1987 XV700 Bobber
              REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by snypez View Post
                Im asking which TYPE not which COLOR. Thanks for the response.
                No need to be a jackarse about it. Did you go to the site? they list all TYPES and COLORS available in all of their product line. Thay have waaay more than the 3 types at your auto parts store.

BTW - I didn't mention anything about colors in my reponse to you. Just suggested you visit their site for more info.
                Last edited by CenCalKat; 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM.
                BMC Notorious 918 HT
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Im sorry. Im at work and i cant really spend time posting. Didnt mean or it to be a mean post. I think i know what i want to get now. the Auto Paint and then a rustoleum primer and ill try a dupli-color clear coat. Im planning on spending alot of time making sure the prep work is done right.

Comment

It's cool. Good luck. A good paint job is only as good as the prep you do.

Now get back to work! lol
                    BMC Notorious 918 HT
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

thank you for the advice.

Comment

I've spent 100+ hours repairing my fairings. Duplicolor is still my preference in primer/paint/clear.

Here are some of the things you might need.

Example of my right fairing a year ago.

I argue that it is 95% Technique/prep work, and 5% product. I've been wanting to make some intructional videos on all the things I've learned. I've read all the painting guides and walkthroughs on every website I could find, but there are things that are left out. Such as plastic body repair.
                        Last edited by Chris007911; 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM.
                        -Banta

Comment

that looks really good. Im just getting a shopping list ready so i can start up in the spring when its a bit warmer out(i only have the garage to work in).

Comment

I've done it all in my bath tub. /poor college kid

ask as many questions as you want, I'm about to graduate with a teaching degree so I'm just itching to help.
                            Last edited by Chris007911; 01-07-2009, 01:48 PM.
                            -Banta

Comment

I am at that stage too. luckly the house im in has a garage .... howd you do it in the bathtub?

Comment

Working...
                              X