X

Wheel Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Help

Okay after searching for nearly two hours, countless posts read. Some little input.

Bought a 98+ rear rim for a pittance. Now looking into the front rim swap. I know if I go with the 98+ kat rim, modifications will have to be made for the speedo. Is there any straight spoke designs that do not require major mods that are direct drop in.

Have searched and searched. Maybe there is a quick answer from someone or they know which thread right off hand.

Thanks for any input on this.
    One project done, now on to the next few!!
    Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

The post-98 rim is the only direct swap, no issues with the speedo at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
      The post-98 rim is the only direct swap, no issues with the speedo at all.
      Nope...bolts right in, and so do SV rims. They are the same.

The front disks are interchangeable too, just so we all know that.
      1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
      2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
      Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

So the 98+ has the notch thing for the speedo and all already ? Damn , that's nice !
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yes the 98+ has the notch in it. So it will work just fine on our bikes. So Dale you need to do nothing but hook it up. If you need any help give me call. I might just call you after I get my plastics back on the bike.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I was told that the 03 wheels did away with that speedo provisions. Don't know fer sure, but my 98 wheels were a direct swap.
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

since Bearkat said that SV rims will swap will aftermarket rims made for the SV work for Kats too?
              Originally posted by AbeezieSoNeezie

fact: a yammie is a girls bike
              fact: more that one girl rides yammies therefore yammies = a bunch of girls
              fact: girls lie

therefore, the following equation is true.
              girls = yammah
              yammah = a bunch of liars

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix_Rising
                since Bearkat said that SV rims will swap will aftermarket rims made for the SV work for Kats too?
                That I am not sure of. I would guess everything would be the same, but maybe not.....

Comment

I was asking because I've NEVER seen a kat with aftermarket rims.

girls = yammah

Comment

IMHO the SV-rim will not be a direct swap, (larger ánd different-shaped axle, in diameter and length) so you would need to adapt the pickup for the axle or use the old axle with bearings which will fit the axle and wheel.
                    Can be done i guess, apart from that I'm not sure but the Kat-rotors could need more or less offset.
                    Perhaps the ronayers fiche could tell you more.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
                      IMHO the SV-rim will not be a direct swap, (larger ánd different-shaped axle, in diameter and length) so you would need to adapt the pickup for the axle or use the old axle with bearings which will fit the axle and wheel.
                      Can be done i guess, apart from that I'm not sure but the Kat-rotors could need more or less offset.
                      Perhaps the ronayers fiche could tell you more.
                      I am riding on a SV front with SV Bearings in it, and the pre-98 axle. On this SV rim, I used 98+ Rotors, after I had used the pre-98's for a while.
                      It can be done with little to no extra effort. I know, I did it.

Comment

I really may have to do some searching to see if aftermarket SV rims would be a direct swap for a Katana, what are some of the dimensions I should be looking for to swap it to an 05 750?

girls = yammah

Comment

Originally posted by BearKat View Post
                          Nope...bolts right in, and so do SV rims. They are the same.

The front disks are interchangeable too, just so we all know that.
                          sorry, i know, old thread, but is there a difference between the first gen and second gen SV rims?

Comment

Originally posted by joeyz34 View Post
                            sorry, i know, old thread, but is there a difference between the first gen and second gen SV rims?
                            Yes. First gen SV front rims apparently will work on any kat (or SV) made before 2003. 2nd gen SV front rims will work on any kat (or SV) made in 2003 and up. It has to do with the front wheel speedo pickup i beleive. In 03 the removed that provision from the rim. The 03 up also uses a flat carrier on the rotors, whereas the 02 down uses an offset, or "dished" carrier.

The only compatibility issues are from the front wheel. The rear is the same for all years. I said apparently above because I cannot verify that the wheels will be a direct bolt on to a pre 98. But as was mentioned above they are said to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                              Yes. First gen SV front rims apparently will work on any kat (or SV) made before 2003. 2nd gen SV front rims will work on any kat (or SV) made in 2003 and up. It has to do with the front wheel speedo pickup i beleive. In 03 the removed that provision from the rim. The 03 up also uses a flat carrier on the rotors, whereas the 02 down uses an offset, or "dished" carrier.

The only compatibility issues are from the front wheel. The rear is the same for all years. I said apparently above because I cannot verify that the wheels will be a direct bolt on to a pre 98. But as was mentioned above they are said to work.
                              cool, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X