Removing the fairings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the fairings?

Hi all,

What is the process for removing the fairings on a 2004 Kat? I guess the bottom fairing needs removing before the side ones, but do you need to remove the mirrors before removing the side ones? Is there anything to watch out for when doing this?

And what about when popping them back on, any tricks or not?

It's probably really simple, but I've never done it before. I just figured it'd be best to ask in case you guys have had problems before and can warn me of something to look out for.

Thanks
    fulcrum (aka David)
    Blue 2004 GSX750F
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
    If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Bottom Fairing comes off before sides as well as mirrors and front fairings (the piece with the third eye and piece below headlight) at least thats how it is on my '01.
    -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

*note* when removing the "third eye" plastic, push it up a bit before removing it. There are little hooks that hold it in place in addition to the two screws.

In general, don't force anything.
      I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by KitKat
        *note* when removing the "third eye" plastic, push it up a bit before removing it. There are little hooks that hold it in place in addition to the two screws.

In general, don't force anything.
        Very good point! I forgot about those little hooks on the back there. thanks!
        -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

And don't forget about those stupid push pins fasteners underneath on the front below the light. There are two of them, just tap the pins up through very gently and they shouldn't break.

Comment

The bottom fairing can come off as one, u don't have to seperate them, I learned the hard way...
            - Joe

Comment

FYI, on those plastic push rivot's under the headlight .. you cant find them anywhere but a dealership and they're like 5.00 for 2 of them where I went.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                FYI, on those plastic push rivot's under the headlight .. you cant find them anywhere but a dealership and they're like 5.00 for 2 of them where I went.
                Actually, you can get suitable ones from any Ace hardware (at least I found some there).

Comment

Originally posted by Jenkcoast
                  The bottom fairing can come off as one, u don't have to seperate them, I learned the hard way...

OH and you don't have to remove the lower and the sides to change the signal light blubs !!! RIGHT RANGE
                  I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by KitKat
                    Originally posted by Jenkcoast

OH and you don't have to remove the lower and the sides to change the signal light blubs !!! RIGHT RANGE
                    I remember that! Range is such a girl!

Comment

ask my bitch Duff....he knows how to do it. i have pics to prove it.

everyone pretty much explained it....no biggie. and don't forget about the 2 big allen bolts at the bottom. i forgot mine. make sure you keep good track of all the bolts and screws. GL

www.vwvortex.com
                      I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
                      Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Comment

And mark what screws go where
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

You can buy them in advance in bulk (I buy them a dozen at a time whenever I order something from RonAyers and am running low), and I just noticed that my local auto parts store also carries them (because they are used in some car's doors/dash assemblies now).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            You can buy them in advance in bulk (I buy them a dozen at a time whenever I order something from RonAyers and am running low), and I just noticed that my local auto parts store also carries them (because they are used in some car's doors/dash assemblies now).

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            You wana pack me a couple, and send it in popcorn?
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                              Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              You wana pack me a couple, and send it in popcorn?
                              If you want the popcorn, just break down, run over to Walmart or Target and buy yourself a $10 hot air popper... Or PM me and I'll send you a price for as much as you want (basically the cost of the shipping plus paypal fees). If you actually need the plastic rivets, PM me.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X