X

Great sound, no go!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great sound, no go!

Hello everyone! From what i have read this is where I need to be. Recently (two days ago) I acquired a 2001 katana 600. Rode yesterday and got heavy on the throttle which I did pre purchase but this time I notice a difference. All is well with gradual acceleration but as soon as I run full throttle the motor revs high as it should and sounds great (no knocking, sputtering or bogging down) but there is no power transfer to the rear! The bike actually begins to slow down as if I pulled in the clutch. I really like the bike and what sold me was reading this forum. All the testimonials on the reliability of the motor was a huge deal for me. I did not purchase this bike to rag out or race. I simply wanted a clean solid bike to cruise on but I need to know if im in a pinch and request more power to my chain it will be there to move me from harms way. Please if anyone can provide guidance I would be very grateful. Oh and I did attempt rolling the throttle in all six gears and experienced the same issue regardless which gear I was in. I spent approximately 6 hrs reading this forum and did not find an issue similar to mine. Thank you in advance.

Clutch..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm. So I definitely have an issue. I have no place to tackle rebuild so I'm going to pay out of pocket. Any insight into the depth of my unforeseen up coming expenditures? I definitely have to much vested in this bike in just two days. Brand new Vortex sprockets, RK chain and fork seals.

Thanks 92x..... not the best news I've gotten today but better then no news. I found a Barnett kit for $135.00 . Not sure if I should jump on it or keep looking around. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you everyone
      Last edited by New2Kat; 08-23-2016, 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Might just have the wrong oil in it, car oil is a Nono.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

I don't know what oil was used prior but I picked up a filter and Mobil 1 synthetic 10 40 yesterday. I'm looking at over 2200 investment thus far and just found oil running down crank case that wasn't there when i parked it yesterday. This is where the ulcer begins to grow!!!!!!

Comment

Nah, that's just a used Kat.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Change the oil, adjust the clutch (at the motor adjustment point, not just at the handlebar)
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I would return the mobil 1 and get some rotella T. I really doubt that the mobil 1 is JASO certified for motorcycles.
                1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

If it's the motorcycle oil it is. Mobil 1 4T - for wet clutches

+1 try adjusting the clutch at the motor.

Barnett kits are good but just get the friction plates and steels. The springs are stiff as fuck and will tire out your forearm. BUT I'd try adjusting the clutch first, then find the oil leak and asses. If its worth the repair, change the oil to motorcycle oil as well as the filter, then worry about clutch plates
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

The clutch might just need to be adjusted... no rebuild needed.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by New2Kat View Post
                      Hmmmmmmmm. I definitely have to much vested in this bike in just two days. Brand new Vortex sprockets, RK chain and fork seals.

Thanks 92x..... not the best news I've gotten today but better then no news. I found a Barnett kit for $135.00
                      Don't look at it as "Having too much invested". When looking at a used bike, you need to keep in mind that tires, brakes, sprockets/chain, clutch, etc. are all working components and that means they will wear out. The harder the bike was/is ridden, the faster they will wear out. A few hundred in repairs is a lot less expensive than a new bike.

Have you adjusted the clutch and changed the oil? That's a great and inexpensive place to start.
                      2003 GSX750F

I'm not a white knuckle, knee dragging, wanna-be. If you respond to one of my posts, please keep that in mind.

Comment

If the clutch is slipping strip the clutch down and inspect the plates, I hope the previous owner has used motorcycle oil as car oil does not have the detergents in it to bath a clutch in and will ruin the plates making them slip under power. If this is the case the friction plates will have to be changed for new ones. Ensure you flush the old oil out as this may be contaminated. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Working...
                        X