X

What revs do you cruise in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What revs do you cruise in?

As the title says, what revs do you generally cruise in? What revs do you change gear at?

I'm a bit curious since mine sounds like a formula 1 car above 9000 RPM's and I often change gear around 7-8000 RPM's as a result. Is this optimal? Any tips ?

on my kat i just stayed above 5k. pretty much bottom of the power band. on my GSXR closer to 4k

just stay in a range that allows you to actually move with the twist of the throttle, but don't ride so high that you sound like a beehive and waste fuel.

Comment

It depends on what you're doing with the bike. Just because the valve train is capable of higher rpm's, does not mean they should be utilized. These are sport-touring-oriented bikes, so racing them just because you can is not recommendation. I shift when the engine sounds like it needs to be shifted (each gear is different). That includes not lugging the engine, nor taking it to redline. If I were to guess, I shift somewhere around 4-5k. Riding the bike in the 9k area is not something I'd do on a Katana. When you feel the power band fall off, anything after that rpm is fruitless. Running in two high of an rpm could result in a valve float, and you don't want to see the result of that.
      '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

I cruise at 5k-6k, as Ian said, they are sport-touring bikes. I shift around there too unless I need the pick up, like if some a-hole won't let me over. Because in Atlanta, no one can drive.

Depends on where I am, interstate at like 80 in 6th gear, so 5k-6k about right, elsewhere maybe 4-5k.

Comment

I usually change between 5-7k RPM when I drive normally but occasionally I like to take off For instance from a red light or after a roundabout when there's no one around and a straight line. At that point I let it pull towards 9 or 10k before I change.

I never cruise in those gears but I was wondering cause I read a bit about revs. Some state the engine should be used at higher revs as well and not driven like a baby, however I have a custom exhaust and past 9k RPM's it really sounds like an F1 car and past 10k it sets off car alarms.

But your answers made me a lot calmer in simply changing at 5k and not worry so much

Comment

Power and torque both really start climbing between 4-5K, at least on my 600. Around twon or just cruising on back roads I'll rarely go below 4K but have no problem running it up near 11K in small spurts when I want to MOVE. With my gearing my freeway commute (60-75 mph) generally leaves me near 6K, which I'm fine with.

Comment

I generally shift between 4-6k depending on how fast I'm trying to accelerate. I aim for cruise at 4k minimum when the bike's still not quite fully warmed up. If I get below that, with any kind of load on it, it'll start to misfire. If the bike's been running for awhile (nice and warm) I can get as low as 3.5k in 6th gear and 2.5k in 1/2/3 (with 4th and 5th being around 3k). Still, 4k is a better number if I anticipate any need to accelerate in the near future. Obviously on the e-way none of that applies because I'm over 6k just doing the speed limit.

Comment

Gear, rpm, mph
                5, 6, 60
                6, 6, 80
                Highway riding at 60, I like to stay in 6th, at about 4-5krpm but the moment I get uncomfortable or see something/one dangerous, I kick down to 5, which puts me right where the power kicks in.

Dunno if that helps.

Comment

Working...
                X