X

Katana 750 header cross tubes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana 750 header cross tubes

What are those? Are they for support or exhaust gas flow? I want to cut them off to get a cleaner look. Is there anyone that have done it? Will it leave a hole in exhaust pipe? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Felix

Pulse balance, like a collector. Being that close to the engine may benefit something..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If you notice a number of headers have crossover tubes in about that position. From what I researched it is suppose to improve scavenging and exhaust performance at high rpm by balancing out return pulses. yep you would probably end up with a hole and need to weld it up.
      Last edited by Lachie; 07-14-2017, 02:00 AM.
      “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
      Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
      ― Douglas Adams

Comment

You would probably find it more beneficial to replace with a better aftermarket header. It's not necessarily hard to find a used one here or on ebay at a decent price. If your set on dual exhaust, you can always Y pipe from the aftermarket header and run dual cans from most any bike with minor mods.

I ran across these last week and picked em up just for that type of setup. http://www.ebay.com/itm/192206401387

$90 delivered for a pair of Micron exhaust cans and mid pipes.

93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          You would probably find it more beneficial to replace with a better aftermarket header. It's not necessarily hard to find a used one here or on ebay at a decent price. If your set on dual exhaust, you can always Y pipe from the aftermarket header and run dual cans from most any bike with minor mods.

I ran across these last week and picked em up just for that type of setup. http://www.ebay.com/itm/192206401387

$90 delivered for a pair of Micron exhaust cans and mid pipes.

+1^ def just replace them.
          2004 KTM 525 EXC
          2004 KTM 200 EXC
          1990 Suzuki GSX600F
          1978-1/2 AMF/H-D Low Rider 1200

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! Since I dont have enough money right now for aftermarket parts I think I'll leave it as is for the moment. I don't want to loose performance so I'll wait to get some money to go with an aftermarket header. Any suggestion on what's available? Will I need to change the oil pan to get a 4 into 1 setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Phelycs View Post
              Thanks for the input guys! Since I dont have enough money right now for aftermarket parts I think I'll leave it as is for the moment. I don't want to loose performance so I'll wait to get some money to go with an aftermarket header. Any suggestion on what's available? Will I need to change the oil pan to get a 4 into 1 setup?
              There are still some new systems floating around out there that pop up on ebay on occasion. Vance & Hines for example is one company that made systems for the older kats.

Another option is to swap the pre system with a post system header. That would be best results include an oil pan & pickup swap. once you have that installed, you can use most of a large selection of post "slip on" cans that will hook up to the header. There are also lots of new headers available for that setup too, Delkelvic for example sells a nice shiny fully stainless header for the post kat.

Keep in mind other oil cooled suzuki engines will have exhaust systems that mostly match up and could be used on the kat with no or very minor mods normally. Bandits, older gsxrs... so keep that in mind as your looking for exhaust systems or parts to swap over. As long as it's not off a water cooled bike, it would fit normally.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Cool! Thanks Krey!

Comment

Working...
                X