New to me old school Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me old school Kat

Hi all,

New to this site. Finally found a 1983 Kat in almost totally stock condition for reasonable $. Had a 1984 GS750E a while back, but mostly into 80`s Interceptor`s, VF1000R`s etc. Pulled the front blinkers and reflectors, got it running, just draining oil while typing.

Anybody know where I can get a set of fins for under the front fairing? I did try a search...

Don`t think I`ll leave it stock though, but here`s a pic:

1986 VF1000R
    1986 VF1000R
    1984 VF1000F
    1983 CB1100F
    1983 GS1100S Katana

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
    though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
    neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
    that knows not victory nor defeat."

Wow nice stable!
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR. Nice find.

Comment

Looks really clean, leave it stock.You can order the fins from the dealer, they are still available,really.
        Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Originally posted by DOCTORNITRO View Post
          Wow nice stable!
          Former Marine 3/97-3/01
          MOS 0161 Semper FI!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ne-oublie View Post
            Looks really clean, leave it stock.You can order the fins from the dealer, they are still available,really.
            Yep...you can still buy them. I think I ordered a set from Bikebandit about a year ago.

Comment

Thanks guys, guess the 82`s had them and it looks like still available. I`ll go see the dealer tomorrow.
              1986 VF1000R
              1986 VF1000R
              1984 VF1000F
              1983 CB1100F
              1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

that thing is sweeeet!
                sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                k9 GSX-R 600
                GO VOLS!

Comment

Thanks again guys, checked and available so I ordered. I wouldn`t have guessed they were still available, from the dealer. Reasonable too.

Anybody ever done RC51 forks yet...?
                  1986 VF1000R
                  1986 VF1000R
                  1984 VF1000F
                  1983 CB1100F
                  1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

Very nice stable ..... I'll bet those VF's handle sweet with the front ends your running. They were pretty good handling bikes to begin with. I'm definately an 80's Honda guy. I like the CB-Fs (don't really care for the K's or the C's). I had a couple buddies that had V45 Interceptors and one had a 1000R. I would've had one but the money and the right bike never got in the same room at the same time.

BTW, That Katana looks to be in pretty decent shape and WELCOME and we'll see ya round
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Gotta love the semi-vintage. I would loved to have kept my kat stock, but I hate purple.....I almost like the boxy look better than the newer ones
                      Pray Ride Live Love

1994 GSX600F

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I really like the syle of the 80`s bikes, just don`t like the handling as much, guess that`s why I`ve modified the VF`s like I did. The rear suspension is also modified and they work very well. By the way, the Kat handles like a big truck and my main goal is to improve the handling while keeping it unmistakeably an 80`s icon. Not sure about the purple though...
                        I did have a CB1100F a while back. I liked it, but it wasn`t a keeper for me. Just don`t have the room or the cash to keep all the bikes I`ve had, sold a V45 Interceptor to fund the Kat...
                        1986 VF1000R
                        1986 VF1000R
                        1984 VF1000F
                        1983 CB1100F
                        1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

Purists look away...

Small update, 2000 RC51 forks, CBR929RR triples, 02 RC51 wheels, 1200 Bandit swingarm, 4-1 header section, adapted gauges to the CBR triples, collars made for the swingarm pivot. Removed passenger footpeg section of frame. Stalled at the moment...because as much as I like the 5-spoke RC51 rear, it`s 6" wide and the cush drive doesn`t leave much, if any, room to remove material to get it closer to the wheel. I really don`t want to remove huge chunks of the frame for chain clearance at this point, so I may use a 2000 RC51 front 6-spoke wheel to match either a 4.5", 5.0", or 5.5" 6-spoke CBR wheel in the rear.
                          The 929 triples are pretty much a bolt-on affair as the bearings are the same as the Kat`s and they are a must as the RC51 lower triple would require cutting out large sections of fairing plastic ruining the fairing. Also must use 2000-2001 RC51 forks as opposed to 02 and later due to the taper of the fork legs on the later models won`t allow the 929 lower triple to grab sufficient fork leg. Just need to make steering stops.

Large pile of nice stock parts I need to get rid of...

1986 VF1000R
                          1986 VF1000R
                          1984 VF1000F
                          1983 CB1100F
                          1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

What did the fins cost you from the dealership?
                            1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

This is when it starts gettin' good ....

... Sweeeeeet
                              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                              X