X
X

Tips and Tricks........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When changing the oil filter using the "cup" type of wrench, spread some oil inside the wrench to make it easy to remove the wrench after loosening and tightening the filter. If left dry, it may jam on the filter.

Comment

Per Loud and lows comment;

When you're using a lot of torque, or a thin headed bolts, or a bolt that is somewhat delicate, use a 6 point socket.
      See the pic below to see the different in contact:
      The 12 point only hits the corners of the nut/bolt, the 6 point will hit the flats.
      This reduces the chance of stripping the fastener...

Attached Files

Comment

Another one...

I was helping a friend with his truck. There was a small bolt that was in a BLIND location. Service Manual says you have to take out several other components to get to it. That would have added a good bit of time and some added heartache.

I took a small piece of duct tape...I then poked the bolt through the duct tape strip, and stuck the duct tape to the socket. It held the bolt straight, and I was able to get it in. After it was tight I pulled the socket away from the tape, then tore the tape out from the bolt.

ADDED BONUS : You can truly say your car / truck / bike is held together with duct tape.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
          Another one...

ADDED BONUS : You can truly say your car / truck / bike is held together with duct tape.

leave it to a katrider..... sticks and duct tape lol
          Rc51 sp2 power commander 3 with custom tune, speedcell battery, titanium rear subframe, sato banzi full titanium exhaust, 16/42 sprockets, turn one carbon fiber airbox and snorkel, sato rearsets scotts damper cgr shorty levers.... more added everyday

1997 kat 600: b12 rear shock, jetted and vance and hines full exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
            When putting the exhaust seals and locks back in, slather them with grease. This helps them stick in the holes. It'll all burn off when you first fire up the bike.

i'm in the process of re attaching the exhaust, and have just ordered new locks/plates. I was stuggling to get the old ones to stay in place so figured they had gone past the use by date, maybe a bit of grease would have saved me some money.

Anyway ill try the grease on the weekend when the new parts arrive. Just thought i would let you know that your tips are being used

Thanks

Comment

Sockets are often handy for pressing round parts like stuck bushings.

Comment

When installing a shift kit (detent spring), tie a piece of string/fishing line around the spring, down through the middle, so if/when it goes flying, you can just reel it back in.

If you take the detent arm off to install the spring (I find this easier), then on top of tying string to the spring, also stick a little piece of duct tape around the outside of the snap ring, and stick some string to the tape.

A general tip for snap rings is to keep them covered with a shop rag when removing and installing them. That way if you slip, they won't get beyond the rag.

If you're working with something you're concerned about over-torquing, then grip the ratchet closer to the head. If you're really ham-fisted, it won't stop you, but at least you'll have to try harder to break it.

Most of you probably know this one, but if you don't....... removing rust from chrome can be done easily by using WD40 (have also used PB Blaster), and either an SOS pad or a wire brush.

Some conversions to know-

There are 2.54 cm in an inch (so there are 25.4 mm in an inch...)
                1 ml is exactly equal to 1 cubic cm
                1 cubic inch is roughly 16.4 ml
                1 oz is roughly 29.5 ml
                1 kg is roughly 2.2 lb (don't ask no questions..... )
                1 ounce is roughly 28.3 grams
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                  Some conversions to know-

There are 2.54 cm in an inch (so there are 25.4 mm in an inch...)
                  1 ml is exactly equal to 1 cubic cm
                  1 cubic inch is roughly 16.4 ml
                  1 oz is roughly 29.5 ml
                  1 kg is roughly 2.2 lb (don't ask no questions..... )
                  1 ounce is roughly 28.3 grams
                  Don't forget that 1cc of water is 1 gram and 1 calorie will raise the temp 1 C

Comment

And a quarter gram is $20.00.......oops NM
                    THE DOC
                    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                    mistake when you make it again.
                    sigpic

Comment

Vac hose trick on plugz...

Gonna try that today. will update later. I think I can...I think I can

Comment

use the top to a spray paint can as a third hand when soldering. cut two slits on either side, and seat your wires in the slits. this will keep your wires in contact with eachother, leaving your hands free to hold solder and the soldering iron.
                        Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                        '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                          Don't forget that 1cc of water is 1 gram and 1 calorie will raise the temp 1 C
                          1 calorie will raise the temperature of 1cc of water by 1 degree C? Interesting... I never knew that!
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                            1 calorie will raise the temperature of 1cc of water by 1 degree C? Interesting... I never knew that!
                            SI units of measurement.. they're a beautiful thing.

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                            use the top to a spray paint can as a third hand when soldering. cut two slits on either side, and seat your wires in the slits. this will keep your wires in contact with eachother, leaving your hands free to hold solder and the soldering iron.
                            good one! I'm always practically burning myself trying to do a three handed soldering job with two hands...
                            Last edited by JustinS; 04-08-2010, 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            '91 Kat 600 SF Project

Comment

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                              Brilliant! Good call man!
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinS View Post
                                good one! I'm always practically burning myself trying to do a three handed soldering job with two hands...
                                +1

Another great thing about that is if you are working on something not straight and simple, it should hold the heat shrink out of the way while you're soldering, so it doesn't decide to slide over and touch the iron, or get close enough to suffer from premature shrinkage.

Comment

Working...
                                X