Katriders Rally 2007 - Deals Gap, NC

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Bodyshop

Bodyshop Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:56 AM   #11
zleviticus
Who let the riff raff in?
Supporting Member

eBay ID: freeziepop

excellent.. I do have a couple things to add though...

A good degreaser is needed as well .. I use one before I start painting and also a tack cloth. Eastwood makes a chemical called Paint Prep that comes in a spray that is awesome for prepping paint. They also make a quality kick the paint in the butt stripper. If you do decided to use a stripper make sure you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS some are not safe for plastics.. NEVER use gas on plastic for stripping paint it will melt the plastic. If you do use a stripper wash the part thoroughly BEFORE yous tart painting. If you leave any residue (even ones that you can't see) your paint will not last long and all your hard work will be for not.

Also while you ahve to plastics off it is a good time to do some other mods or engine tune ups. If your gas tank is old and metal you can even think about prepping and sealing the inside of the tank. Eastwood makes a great product for that and I have used it before on my camaro's gas tank with MUCH success..

Great write up sweetlou...

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance
zleviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:52 AM   #12
BeekMan
Kat Legend

December 04 KOTM

Excellent post and thanks for taking the time to do that. This is the kind of stuff that people want to see.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:38 AM   #13
DINGBAT
Katrider

Is the bike back together? Let's see a pic.
DINGBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:25 AM   #14
chriskatana
Tank Slapper

Someone should sticky this or add a faq/mods and sticky it there along with the how to put a gixxer motor in your kat thread and others, IE.. biggest tire? etc...
chriskatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #15
Gear Dog
Katrider

nice write up, can't wait to see it together

Gear Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:16 PM   #16
SweetLou
Kat King

eBay ID: KanOGixxer

September 05 KOTM

Not together yet, and it will be a while before I put her all back together. I still have a few parts to paint. I have the front fender, which I have not yet taken off, the rear right fairing, which I have ordered, my lower fairng (all 3 peices), and I am going to get a undertail. I am really wanting to do a engine swap, so I am holding off for that as well, but winter is just starting, so I have time. As for a degreaser, I found that the Brake Cleaner works very well at removing grease, sticky stuff, bugs, finger prints, ect. Its also takes off the wax. And yes, Tac clothes are a must, and its ok if they are a little dirty, thats what they are there to do, get dirty.

Adios!
-Ohlins Susupension
-Various Other Mods

SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #17
Katgirl
Tattooed Angel

Excellent, thanks for putting that together for us. That was a lot of hard work.
The funny pictures were a nice touch
Katgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:04 PM   #18
plasticweld
Rookie

Sweet Lou.. Good write up, the pictures make if fun to read, looks like you had fun doing it too; looking forward to seeing it all back together
Bob Brown #284 CSBA
plasticweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #19
zleviticus
Who let the riff raff in?
Supporting Member

eBay ID: freeziepop

ok the million dollar question.. ok ok the 2 cent question how much paint have you used thus far?
zleviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:03 PM   #20
Matt
Tank Slapper

Great post, thanks for the info and the laugh. My buddy has that paint on a few parts of his bike and it's wild... you're right, the pics don't do it justice.

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Bodyshop