No announcement yet.
X

Got my HIDs installed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running 55w hids should be fine for the housing, but you'd have to do a relay kit to run it. Keep in mind you cannot mix and match a 35w bulb with a 55w ballast or vice versa. You can change the color temp separately but if you change the wattage you must replace both the bulb and ballast
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

So what is better for the battery, alternator and over all?

Comment

Shouldn't matter. The electrical system is more than capable of running either wattage. You'll just want the relay kit on the 55w model because its going to draw at least 15amps while striking the bulb. After the bulb is lit it should run at 5amps or less. So its up to you and what kind of brightness you want. 55w would be insanely bright if that's what you're going for.

Comment

If you go with HIDs on a post at least make sure you upgrade your wiring harness......
          I am a Penn State fanatic.
          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Yes, with the post running two bulbs you'll likely need the relay kit.

Comment

Finally got the other half of the kit steve ordered for us intalled this week. I was able to ride in the dark going home from work yesterday morning, and I have to saw....wow. I can't beleive the difference that it makes. I knew that it was going to be brighter, but I honestly didn't expect that huge of a difference. I obviously have a pre as well, and wired it up the same way as steve, with an extra ground spliced into the headlight ground and then run to the frame. also ran an extra ground from the batt to the frame as well. Used 12ga wire for both. so far no problems. Thanks steve.

*disclaimer*
              I know jack S** about electrical, but steves theories seemed sound to me, so I ran the wiring as I did at my own risk, as does anyone else who decides to do it this way.
              Semper Fi
              1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Good stuff, glad you like it and were able to figure out the extra ground wire. Aimed correctly its amazingly bright like you said. I was driving my girlfriends car with standard bulbs tonight and kept trying to turn the lights on because theyre so dim in comparison. Night and day difference.

I have noticed that the high beam is kinda weak. It's aimed correctly in relation to the low beam but it seems really dim compared to the old bulb. I wonder what its rated wattage actually is. I still like the dual beam kits due to the built in glare shield though, even if the stock high bulb isn't great. I'm sure it could be replaced with a more powerful bulb if you even need the highs anymore.

Comment

I doubt I'll really need to use the high anymore really. I just use it when I initially start the bike up after that its the HID the rest of the way. I haven't really used the high at night, so other than when I was testing it in the garage I don't have a comparison.
                  Semper Fi
                  1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

I have never used my high since going HIDs. Though I also have two HID bulbs firing since I am a post 98. Either way switching to high angles the light up but things are not as detailed.
                    I am a Penn State fanatic.
                    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

I just finished my HID install. The kit was wired kinda strangely so I had to do a few "adjustments" to the loom, but in all it was a fairly simple and straight-forward job.

I can't wait until it gets dark so I can adjust them

edit -- rode to work in the dark with them this morning, and yes they are great. Except that the little shield doesn't really prevent glare. It isn't shaped or designed quite properly. The shield is screwed on and I intend to modify it, and get back with results. Check this thread for pictures, etc:

Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems
                      Last edited by Wheel; 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM.

Comment

awesome blossom

what bulb temp do you guys recommend? i have 6k's on my truckety truck and i can barely see **** at night. im thinkin 4300 or maybe even those yellow ones. just wanna see whats workin for you guys before i waste money on jap crap. by the way i have a pre 98 kat so its just one bulb. thanks a bunch
                        Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

4300k here, they are good.

Comment

Anything between 4000k and 5000k is good. 6000k is the absolute highest I'd ever go, even then I like the 4300k more.

Comment

Well i got a 4300k HI/LOW

Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
                              Anything between 4000k and 5000k is good. 6000k is the absolute highest I'd ever go, even then I like the 4300k more.
                              Well I ordered the 4300k HI/LOW beam for my kat...then my a.d.d. kicked in and I installed it in my 85 honda big red. It looks pretty sick in the atc. I also ended up gettin the 50watt 4300k for my truck with 3000k for the fogs. Definitly makes night driveing a little nicer. For me at least, everyone else gets the s*** blinded outta them. hahaha I love lifted trucks!

Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Do you have a link to the exact kit you ordered?

Comment

Working...
                                X