X

Sprocket and Chain Upgrade Complete.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket and Chain Upgrade Complete.

I recieved my a Rk/Vortex Chain and Sprocket Kit. A 14/50 set the 50 teeth sprocket in red and the 520 conv. chain. I order it from http://www.pitposse.com/ ( I will order from them again they are in Fl and Im in Ga so I ordered it last Wed. And it came today Monday 3/3/08.) for a total of $162.90 but I also order some Red Sprocket Nut. I got on my info and references from this link
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63711. I wish I would have seen it before I started I would have finish faster at least in some kind of order. Anywayz here are some Shots I will post better ones tommorrow of the whole bike.

Bike is dirty, in these picture especially the second one becuz now all the grease is everywhere and I just got home from school.

P.S. I know its not steel but I don't tour really mostly work and home and school.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

so you got a 520 in aluminum, hhhhmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
      whats wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
        Yeah is there a bad that... My order is for a Vortex & RK Combo Kit Bike=GSXF/520-Conv +4.00 Chain GB520XSO Sprocket Color Red + $9.00 Teeth /Front=14 Teeth Rear=50 Year=05. Thats what my invoice says and what I but in for.

Edit: I search 520 chain. I know why arsenic is against the idea. Wear quicker and no need if your looking cuz its lighter cuz the bike is heavy. I thought it was something bad. I thought I did my Homework before buying this making sure everything is good I thought I miss something. But I understand his point.
        Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 03-03-2008, 10:41 PM.
        sigpic
        Update Jul 11 2014
        Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

yeah, thats all, there nothing wrong with it at all, the 520 wears quicker and aluminum wears quicker, thats all.

Comment

I had the same kit on my kat and have the same kit on my gixxer. Only recommendation i have it to have the chain rivetted on, DONT USE THE SNAP LINK. the thing is weak and have had it pop twice.
            www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
            Katana Frame Sliders
            The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
            98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
            I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

What are your revs like, say at 60 or 70 mph with that kit?
              Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
              www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                What are your revs like, say at 60 or 70 mph with that kit?
                Theoretically, his revs would increase by about 14% at any given speed. So with the stock gearing, if he was doing 3k RPM's in 5th going 50mph, he would now be doing 3420 RPM's at 50mph. But the real world application mary vary...

If your chain adjuster is already that far back with a brand new chain, then maybe you should have gone a couple links shorter, it doesn't look like you have much room to tighten the chain when it starts to stretch.

You might be in that gray area though where if you cut a link out then it'll be too short, I can't really tell though...
                Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                18v Rigid Drill
                Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Thanks reconstyle. Ive been thinking about doing a sprocket swap. May be handy for fun and short stuff, but for driving on long trips wondered if it would be worth it.
                  Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                  www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

I had to take a link out both time on my katana and on my gixxer
                    www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
                    Katana Frame Sliders
                    The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
                    98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
                    I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

Should have gone with a Sidewinder Sprocket

Comment

I got one for sale, why are you not buying it

Comment

I was looking at that today. How it is almost at the same line of the stock chain on the adjuster. I didn't get to drive it today. But hopefully soon. Yeah right now I got the snap link in. But only till I get the tool. I hoping I can get one local. I ask the Matco truck today. He said no. So I will go by Suzuki dealer and hope they do. Or just take it to my local mechanic and just get him to do it for me. But I prefer to do it myself.
                          sigpic
                          Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
                            I recieved my a Rk/Vortex Chain and Sprocket Kit. A 14/50 set the 50 teeth sprocket in red and the 520 conv. chain. for a total of $162.90 P.S. I know its not steel but I don't tour really mostly work and home and school.
                            i scored a brand new, still in the package, stock RK chain and sprocket set off E-Bay for $65, $80 after shipping. Gold X-Ring 530-118 chain and 15/47 steel sprockets. the aluminum rear that came off was majorly deformedfrom the PO. I really dont feel like making a habit of changing sprockets and buying new chains. besides, the few ounces difference between the 520 and 530 chain is negligable with a 480 pound skoot to start with. Give me goodies that will last more than just part of a season thankyouverymuch
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by 87vert View Post
                              whats wrong with that? [Aluminum sprockets]
                              I've got at least two issues with aluminum sprockets.
                              The first one was already mentioned (aluminum wears far faster than steel, because although the surface may be harder, the underneath metal that has to take the load isn't), and the second one is that chain lube doesn't polar-bond to aluminum, meaning you need to lube about four times as often to keep the roller-to-sprocket interface properly lubed.
                              With a 520 aluminum set-up, my guess is he'll be due for a new chain & sprockets again in under 10k miles -- compared to the typically 25-30k miles I get out of the steel set-up before it gets anywhere near it's wear limits.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X