X

Ignition switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition switch

Hi to all, sorry if this question has been answered before but I checked the archive and couldn't find a simple procedure for it - how does one remove the ignition switch to test it? It looks impossible to remove without drilling the thing out but common sense says there has to be an easier way. . .

Thanks.

pre or post 98?

Comment

Bike is a 1999 model, so post-98.

Comment

they are safety torx

Comment

You can get them out using a tiny socket or I have used an Allen screw as a "wrench" to remove them. This is dependent on how corroded they are. I bought a pre 98 600 top tree with ignition switch and the screws popped right out. To get Paradoxmd's out we needed a whole lot of tools and a lot of swearing. I'll say this:
          It makes the job a lot easier if you remove the top tree and work from the top.

Comment

On the 98+ there is a special way to remove them... which Keith has refrained from posting since theives could use it to steal bikes.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
              they are safety torx

ditto...I used safety torx and removed the ignition from the bottom (not removing top tree). It was hard to get at, but I eventually got it.
              1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                On the 98+ there is a special way to remove them... which Keith has refrained from posting since theives could use it to steal bikes.
                Umm I think that is kinda lame.

Comment

98+ Katana:

The ignition is held in by two Safety Torx bolts underneath.

Size is T-40 'Tx' bit or Safety Torx.

Comment

On a few occasions I have used BP's method and taken the top tree off for easier access. I used a small socket and tapped (lightly with a hammer) it onto the security torx bolts.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

That would work too...but since the Safety torx socket set was all of $8 at Harbor Freight, I picked it up.

Comment

Umm, don't most thieves already know how to steal bikes? Frankly I think that's kind of stupid. It's the same logic as censorship or having a book burning because someone doesn't like the content. ANY information can be misused - the answer is seldom to withhold the information. But that's just one guy's opinion.

Frankly, I doubt most thieves would take the time to disassemble the bike to the point where they could access the underside of the assembly anyhow. The guys that get bikes ripped off are the ones that park 'em outside overnight without a chain on them and a bunch of guys show up, stick 2x4s in the wheels, heave the thing in the back of a pickup and they're gone. Several bikes have gone AWOL around here in that manner. Once the thieves have the bike back at their chop shop they can take all the time they need to disassemble the lock mechanism, or just cut it off.

Anyhow thanks for the heads-up.

It sounds like it's going to be a major timesuck. I'll check Sears for the tools. Thanks for the info.
                        Last edited by KatScratchFever; 02-27-2008, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KatScratchFever View Post
                          It sounds like it's going to be a major timesuck. I'll check Sears for the tools. Thanks for the info.
                          "Timesuck" ? Why? I'm not positive, but I'd almost be willing to bet with a wobble extension and the right socket, you could get it out without removing any fairings...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                            Umm I think that is kinda lame.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

BP, I imagine you did this on a pre 98. Pre 98's are NOT safety torx, they are sheer head bolts, the way to get them out is a center punch and a hammer, knock the botl in a counter clock wise direction. 98+ just get the right safety torx. It's hella easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X