No announcement yet.
X

Coil lead voltage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so, I just checked voltage again. Both orange/white have 11.41 if the positive lead is on the orange/white and the negative lead of the multimeter is touched to a ground. Both have 11.41. What I really meant earlier (I guess I could have explained better) when I connect the positive of the multimeter to the orange/white and the ground of the multimeter to the white, it still shows 10.5 voltage. If I connect to the other coil leads in the same manner it shows the .05. This is why I was wondering if the white lead was grounding out somehow, showing the 10.5 volts. I hope this helps.

Comment

10.5v is good. The white wire is actually a pulse negative created by the pickup coil.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So why wont the one that reads that fire, when the one that reads .05 does. I'm confused.

Is it because it sends to that coil first so the second coil gets 10.5 after the first fires?
        Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 10-25-2015, 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

10.5v is good. The white wire is actually a pulse negative created by the pickup coil.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Measure the coil resistance, should be 3ohm
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

So, I just checked 2 coils that I have laying around. One of the originals that came with the bike is right at 2.9-3 ohms. The one that I just got last week is at almost 0. I think I might have accidentally got my old 2 mixed up and I've been trying to use a bad one all day. I'll have to check

Comment

Sweet, swap in that good one..

Sweet, swap in that good one.. I'm going COP on mine. Available at any auto parts store.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-25-2015, 11:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Is that a fairly easy procedure? To convert to cop? It seems like it would be a better setup. I just checked NAPA online but is there a brand or part number that you could give me?

Comment

I'm using my old jaguar (ford) coils. You can use any COP that has two wires, wire them in series or parallel, plus you'll need to figure in a resister of proper wattage to achieve the 3ohms needed. The electrical plugs. Then fab up a bracket for them. I'm in the test phase currently, it wil go with my new ignition system.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

That sounds like way more than I'm capable of. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be on with more issues tomorrow.

Comment

Well I don't know what's up with my bike, just put in the coil that reads 3 ohms when I check it and still nothing. I even tried pulling a spark plug out and checking for spark, nothing, I couldn't even get the coil that seems to be working to show spark like that. I'm stumped, the good news is my new petcock will be arriving tomorrow. Yay. I just don't understand how it can run so smooth of of just cylinders 2 and 3 by themselves.

Comment

Take header (down tube) temps while it's running. How old are those plugs. Might want to change those as well. What condition was the plug you pulled?
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Plugs are a month old at most, bought them new probably 2 weeks ago. The bike runs strong though. Thinking about dropping it off at the dealership just to have it looked at.

When I took the plug out the first time, I cranked it and it blew fuel out of the plug hole, a lot of fuel.
                            Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 10-26-2015, 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm thinking it couldn't be running on two cylinders, it would be difficult to start and if I did it would not stay running. You would definitely know it was running on two cylinders.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

That's what I thought too, maybe I'm just a little slow.I can totally unplug the plug wires and it runs just fine but maybe I'm just missing something.

Comment

Working...
                                X