X

Help! A Katrider stranded - suggestions would be appreciated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! A Katrider stranded - suggestions would be appreciated

The kid who bought my bike is sitting at a gas station right now with the bike. He said it hasn't given him any problems at all up till now. He rode the bike to the gas station, shut it off, filled the tank, went to start the bike and be on his way.... nothing. No lights, no starter. He gets absolutely nothing when he turns the key.

He said the bike was running beautifully. He also said that it seemed like the key wasn't going as far right as it was before. Though he's not entirely sure of that.

He checked fuses - says there are four fuse, turn signal, ignition, head, main. He says the one marked 'head' was blown... replaced it. Still nothing.

I'm thinking it's a fuse somewhere outside of the box.

Any help would be appreciated...
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

I'm thinking he's turning the key the wrong way?

Comment

So the key's not making it to the ON position right? Every once in a while mine acted up, I had to wiggle the bars and push the key in, pull it out, go to lock then come back to on all while wiggling and jiggling. That worked for me though.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Check the battery cables too. give em a jiggle

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          So the key's not making it to the ON position right? Every once in a while mine acted up, I had to wiggle the bars and push the key in, pull it out, go to lock then come back to on all while wiggling and jiggling. That worked for me though.

Yeah, I've had to do that to mine a time or two. Actually, mine acts up if I put the wheel lock on.
          sigpic

Comment

Okay - here's the thing, though - he turns it all the way to the left and down to about the 7 o'clock position - no park light either... Still think it's the ignition?

The a pre-98 with a 750 motor CDI, fusebox and harness. Is the fuse marked "head" the headlight?? If so, why would that just go? Are there any other fuses on the harness that he should check?
            Last edited by VifferJim; 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Maybe the battery is completely toast out of nowhere? That's my only simple idea, other than a complicated wiring problem.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

some have a separate circut breaker away from the fuse block with a little red reset button. just for giggles, ask if he hit the kill switch by mistake
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Are the battery cables loose?

Did he DO anything to the bike.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

main fuse

usually beside the starter relay under the side pannel
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Maybe the battery is completely toast out of nowhere? That's my only simple idea, other than a complicated wiring problem.
                      Told him that's possible, but the battery was bought new last year - sealed gel - and the bike was running perfectly fine just seconds before. Never seen a battery go from 100% to 0% without seeing some indication.

I'm at a loss here guys... my gut says that it's either ignition or fuse box and my money is on the connector from the ignition to the harness. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a corroded connector for the 'hot' (red) wire; or, he should swap the 10 amp fuses in the box just to see what happens (there are only 4 of them).

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        some have a separate circut breaker away from the fuse block with a little red reset button. just for giggles, ask if he hit the kill switch by mistake
                        The main fuse should be on the front of the battery box.

Originally posted by KatriderJim View Post
                        Told him that's possible, but the battery was bought new last year - sealed gel - and the bike was running perfectly fine just seconds before. Never seen a battery go from 100% to 0% without seeing some indication.

I'm at a loss here guys... my gut says that it's either ignition or fuse box and my money is on the connector from the ignition to the harness. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a corroded connector for the 'hot' (red) wire; or, he should swap the 10 amp fuses in the box just to see what happens (there are only 4 of them).
                        No lights, no nothing would be more than just a headlight fuse.

What about the oil light and neutral indicator?
                        Last edited by steves; 04-09-2009, 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                          The main fuse should be on the front of the battery box.

No lights, no nothing would be more than just a headlight fuse.

What about the oil light and neutral indicator?
                          I know, that's what I told him. He doesn't get anything at all - no lights, no indicators, nothing.

This bike has a fuse block with 4 slots - two over two - on the right side of the bike. Is there another 'main' fuse outside of this block?

Comment

The main fuse on a pre98 (except 97's) is located in front of the battery, between the aircleaner and the front of the battery box. It should be a small, red nub that can be seen with the seat up.
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                              The main fuse on a pre98 (except 97's) is located in front of the battery, between the aircleaner and the front of the battery box. It should be a small, red nub that can be seen with the seat up.
                              Thanks, I told him... He's two blocks from the Suzuki dealer and they're coming over to get him. What would cause the main to blow??
                              Last edited by VifferJim; 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X