X

(jump) starting my dead bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (jump) starting my dead bike

hey all, just bought a 88 kat 600, drove her around for a while last night and an hour or so after I parked it I noticed that the brake light was stuck on even with the key out, so I disconnected the battery for the night, woke up this morning and tried to start her, no dice... turns but she doesn't catch.

I read that jumping a bike from a running car is a bad idea, but someone told me I can jump her from a car that isn't running.. is that legit?

also, does the brake light come on when you're on the brakes with the key out? if not, that means I've got some crossed wires or something right?

anyway, I'm going to buy a charger in a bit but I'd like to toodle around the neighbourhood today.

thanks in advance

jumping a bike off a non running car is fine, I've done that a million times

Comment

Me too
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

brake light or running light? The brown wire is always on with the key on for the running light circut. black with white is the ground. the other color i cant remember off the top of my head (white with black stripe?), but it should be live ONLY with key on AND brake switch (front or rear) activated.

running light always on : suspect ign switch (red - battery power to ign sw), bad or crossed up wiring, ie: short (brown) somewhere to Red (battery lead)

stop light always on : bad switch and/or shorted to battery power (red) somewhere. Orange with Green brings power to the brake light switches (bad switch + short), white with black (short) from switch to light.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

jumped off a non running car a million times. once while running. no problems.

Comment

ok so I'm a complete retard. I'm not even going to tell you why the brake light was on because it's too embarrassing. dumbluck thanks for the analysis anyway.

but yea anyway, think the battery is drained... tried jumping it off my car non-running, and it didn't help. getting the battery charged at a shop now, and picked up a trickle charger... I'll know in a couple hours if it's the battery- I'm beginning to suspect the charging system is bunk, I've still got to get a voltmeter and do some DIY troubleshooting

Comment

I've got every part you may need to fix that
              brake light switch - check
              alternator - check
              just let me know

Comment

Forgot the key in the Park position which had the parking light on... No biggie, we all do it occasionally. I just like the fact that my new bikes tail is all LED, can be on for hours without a problem, That and the 44 leds from Joe Florida
                If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

hahahah yea, that was it.

Comment

Originally posted by htedro View Post
                    hahahah yea, that was it.
                    No harm, no foul there bud. Everyones probably done it before, either in their car or what have you. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Besides, on a bike, its the difference of one click between lock and f#ck. On a car its a bit toughter to explain unless it was daylight.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                    X