X

Tank dent removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank dent removal

Hey everyone I was just wondering if there is any way to get a dent out of the gas tank? the dent is right next to the filler cap. I was just wondering if there is a special trick or if its possible at all. The bikes an 04 600 kat. Any inpute would be appreciated, thanks

Several ways, each with pluses and minuses.

Best option, in my opinion, fill it then repaint. You'll still have the dent, but not be able to see it. This way is less likely to cause damage to the metal.

You can also use a dent remover. Do a google search for dent removal. You can also try a dent repair bodyshop, but they may have issues working with a gas tank. I can't say with any certainty.

Just what I know to work. Others know best.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

Dent Popper???

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I used to work in a body shop and taking dents out of a gas tank wasn’t a hard thing to do. We would use a spritsanagle (Im sure I didn’t spell that right) gun what it does is spot welds a nail to the center of the dent and use a slide hammer to pop it out twist the nail off and then a light fill with a fine body filler. I m guessing $25 to $75 but that’s only a guess. Or you can just fill it your self which would be ok if it’s a slight dent. If it’s a large dent I would just spend the money to have the dent taken out professionally.

Good luck

Comment

There is a product out in the market called Dent Be Gone I used it on car before and it worked.

Comment

Not sure if this would work on a gas tank, but for mx pipes it did. The trick would be getting all the holes closed off enough, but you may be able to just keep the gas cap on and turn the tank upside down.

Basically, you just fill the tank up w/ some water (not all the way, try filling it up half way at first, and then if it doesn't work, fill a little more). Clear a good little spot out of your freezer and pop the tank in there. When the water freezes, it pushes the dent out.

**Like I said, I'm not sure if this will work on a tank, it may be to strong of a metal, but it works for the pipes on MX bikes. If you decide to try it, let us know how it goes.**

Comment

Most mc tanks are double-wall- the frozen water is a great idea, but I don't think it would work due to the air-space between the walls.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

http://www.empiregp.com/ If you feel like having it done right.

Comment

Working...
                X