X

Y2KTJ's $50 1990 gsx600f build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y2KTJ's $50 1990 gsx600f build

So time to start a build thread. I'm new to street bikes so this is to document my progress and get advice from all you experienced kat owners.

Here's my kat when the PO had it.

I've been wrenching on vehicles since my first car at 16. A 1980 Corolla that I slammed to the ground, huge stereo and "custom" gorilla fur interior! lol Pics cuase it brings back some awesome memories!

Sold it and bought my 2000 tj. I've been wrenching on it for 17 years.

Always wanted a bike and actually was considering it when I bought the jeep. I have some experience on mx bikes but I am in no way an experienced rider. About 5 years ago I was on the lookout for a cheap project bike. Something to work on and then learn to ride. Something to commute to work with since the jeeps a pig on gas and not exactly cop friendly. Mentioned it to an employee at work and he says" I've got a 1990 katana I'll sell you for $50. Price is right so I'm in and go look at it. I've read lots about a 600 not being a beginner bike. Some say it's fine others say hell no. I'm in my 40s and have no plans to be tearing around testing its limits. Just a short commute to work and maybe a couple rides on the weekend. If anything I worry more about the weight of the bike than the power or speed. I got a laugh when my son pointed out the max on the speedometer. I have no desire to get anywhere near that. For now at least. Maybe after a couple years of riding I'll see the sport side of the bike.

Pics of the bike when the PO had it.

Reading between the lines he had worked on it and not tightened the rear tire and it came loose on him so he dropped the bike. He stripped it down to just frame and motor and got lazy and bought a new bike. He had labled and bagged "most" of the nuts and bolts and said it should be all there. So I said why not and thew it in the back of my Cherokee. It also came with a full set of 1999 gsxr600 fairings and headlight(that he was going to put on) and the can from his kawi 600 he had replaced. The bike sat for few years as life threw me a curve ball.

So I've been peicing the jigsaw puzzle of a bike back together on and off the last couple years. The bike was last on the road in 2006. My goal right now is to get it all back together and running. Before you say it I know that even if the bike had just been sitting that long that there is alot of stuff that needs replacing. Id be kidding myself if I thought I'd be riding it every day next summer. Once I get it running I'll worry about replacing all the stuff I can guess will need it. Seals, cables, hoses,pads, tires ect.

The PO had done a decent job of labeling all the bolts for the major components so between this awesome site and Google it kinda resembles a bike again.

Haven't taken many pics since progress has been so slow.

So onto what needs to be done. Dogbones must have been bent. The 2 it came with were for a post Kat so grabbed a couple replacements. The fairings are in decent shape just a couple small cracks. The front headlight "stay"(I think its called) is only slightly bent so I should be able to straighten it easy enough. The headlight housing is smashed and cant find one local. Unfortunately shipping to Canada on Ebay can be ridiculous so sourcing parts is a bit of an issue. As example the fuse block wasn't with the parts, he thought it and the rear seat might be in his storage locker but he never came through. Found several blocks on Ebay for $10 but they wanted $50 to ship. Was able to ship it and throttle tube to a friends fiancee who lives in Washington. But she walks on the ferry so have to figure something else out for the headlight and seat.
    On the way are a new windscreen and gsxr mirrors. Still need to order a front brake lever, battery and a chain. I know replace chain and sprockets at the same time. The local salvage place did get a pre kat in the other day so hoping I can get some stuff. maybe a used chain for now and once it's a runner replace chain and sprockets. Exhaust is cut just after the cross pipe so thinking I'll try fabbing up the exhaust to run the zx6 can that came with it. Friend of the PO has been a huge help answering my newb questions and offered to help with the carbs.

So since it's been sitting so long I opened the top of the motor. To my surprise it was surprisingly clean!

No slack on the chain and no obvious wear on anything to my untrained eye. Put alittle lube down the plug holes and oil on the everything on the top end. Opened all the other covers on the motor and everything looked good. Obviously I don't really know what I'm looking for but nothing jumped out at me. I let the lube sit a few days then gently turned the crank manually and everything moved easy! Not even the slightest hesitation. Figured after sitting so long the piston might be a little stuck but no sign of it. So that put some fire in me.
    Last edited by y2ktj; 07-08-2020, 11:54 PM.

That pretty much brings us up to date. So now for a couple questions. First off I have a digital copy of the Haynes manual thanks to katriders, my problem is the pictures aren't the best and descriptions are a bit vague. So when it comes to cable and wire routing I'm basically just guessing. Or what size bolts should be used for x part. I know from years of wrenching how to ballpark bolt size. 2 turns to tighten..to short...50 turns..to long. Found a great post here about bolt size for the motor covers. Part sites have great schematics but dont list sizes. Seems they actually have different part numbers for the same size bolt I could spend hours looking here or online. I've looked for a factory manual but no luck. If anyone has a few good pics of how the main wiring loom is run and how all the cables from the bars are run I would appreciate it.
    Here's a old pic of the bike with the coils not attached but does show some of the wiring. anything stand out as being wrong. I'll take more pics of where I think things should run next time I work on it.

Second question is about working on the bike. While reassembling the bike I strapped it to a mx style bike stand. Was fine till I put the exhaust on. It only has a side stand now which seems real sketchy and am looking for a center stand for it. I picked up this motorcycle lift at princess auto on black Friday but I don't think it will work with the exhaust. It lifts to 16"

I don't have the lower fairing on but guessing that will be more of an issue. Was thinking the lift might need some modifications but would be nice to be able to get the bike at a more reasonable level now as I rebuild and in the future for maintenance. I've also considered cutting up the swing set to hang it from. I'm thinking the lift gives more unrestricted access to the bike but I'll trip over it and hanging it the chains will be in the way. As I type I'm thinking for the next couple months id want it higher than the 16" the lift will give. Maybe build a stand for it. Think I read somewhere here that someone did that. Maybe 92junker? search I guess. Let me know your thoughts.

And for motivation pics of what I'm hoping it will look like when it's done.

Like this stock pic

or

and paint fun

Comment

Dude all I can say at the moment is WOW! Nice thread and I wish you luck on the build. ..damn your giving me some ideas for my bike..honestly though a center stand is worth its weight in gold I've tried the lift and it's good in the shop but if something goes wrong on a ride that center stand is a life saver

Never underestimate a 600 cc bike...I had a 1991 fzr 600 years ago and more than a few times it got my attention
      Last edited by Parts man; 11-29-2018, 01:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Some ideas for working with no center stand

to work on the rear I use two wheel stands and an old barbell through the frame brace tube easy to lift onto the stands

For the front I use a head stock lift

If I want to do some work on the head itself or the stand is in the way I have put the wheel stands under the front down tubes

If you need to make it secure fix a cross brace between the stand and a bracket can be made to bolt to the down tubes
        “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
        Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
        ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Parts man View Post
          Dude all I can say at the moment is WOW! Nice thread and I wish you luck on the build. ..damn your giving me some ideas for my bike..honestly though a center stand is worth its weight in gold I've tried the lift and it's good in the shop but if something goes wrong on a ride that center stand is a life saver

Never underestimate a 600 cc bike...I had a 1991 fzr 600 years ago and more than a few times it got my attention
          Thanks. I love projects. I have as much fun fabbing stuff for my jeep as I do wheeling it. I'll get a center stand for sure. As suggested in another post about the exhaust, get it now before doing the pipes. I'm not a speed freak. And when you're old enough to make noise getting up off the ground even just falling over on the bike while standing still will be painful. Honestly I would make the bike less responsive to throttle input if I could. Is that even possible? Most people are trying to increase response. You've used a lift similar to the one I posted? Can't wait to get the rest of the parts. Then I'll go over every nut and bolt. Speaking of nuts and bolts are there any that I should be using thread locker or anti seize on? Not sure on the bike terminology, but like the spindle bolts or the chain stay so they don't come loose. Triple tree hardware? Anti seize on the headers? I'll check the Haynes manual but any advice is always welcome.

And a buddy questioned the direction of the rotor on the front tire. The tire was on the forks when I got it. I think
          the arrow on the tire is the right direction. Hes a Honda guy so said to ask you guys.

Comment

EDIT: Forget putting the bike up high for maintenance. Get yourself a chair and make do with what you have Now, You should have spent that money you put on that lift on a center stand instead. Take it back and get a refund ! As you said, it hits the exhaust. Well, the center stand does not. Now that I've made that abundantly clear, your next move should be to do a valve lash adjustment. You'll want to get that out of the way before you rebuild your carbs. Go ahead and take lots of pictures of every thing you have. Separate all your bolts a take good pictures of those too. This way, we may be able to guide you to the junkyard to grab as many parts as possible before someone else gets to that kitty sitting out there.
            Last edited by katanarider; 11-29-2018, 02:58 AM.
            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by Lachie View Post
              Some ideas for working with no center stand

to work on the rear I use two wheel stands and an old barbell through the frame brace tube easy to lift onto the stands

For the front I use a head stock lift

If I want to do some work on the head itself or the stand is in the way I have put the wheel stands under the front down tubes

If you need to make it secure fix a cross brace between the stand and a bracket can be made to bolt to the down tubes
              Thanks for the ideas. I've got some tube and an old barbell and some big jack stands. As is with the wheels on the ground and my mechanic stool as low as it goes I'm bent over to work on anything but the bars! lol My back has seen better days and I think even the lift will be to low so I'm thinking hanging is the way I'll go. But I'm guessing the drawback is it's not fixed and will move.

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
              EDIT: Forget putting the bike up high for maintenance. Get yourself a chair and make do with what you have Now, You should have spent that money you put on that lift on a center stand instead. Take it back and get a refund ! As you said, it hits the exhaust. Well, the center stand does not. Now that I've made that abundantly clear, your next move should be to do a valve lash adjustment. You'll want to get that out of the way before you rebuild your carbs. Go ahead and take lots of pictures of every thing you have. Separate all your bolts a take good pictures of those too. This way, we may be able to guide you to the junkyard to grab as many parts as possible before someone else gets to that kitty sitting out there.
              Yeah its going back. So KR most stands on Ebay are just that. Only stands. Besides the spring what else is needed.Ive read there are spacers also? I'll look at one of those parts diagrams unless you can fill the blanks. Valve lash adjustment? Can you elaborate? I'll search it but i'll take any knowledge your willing to type or link to.
              Last edited by y2ktj; 11-29-2018, 03:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ok, I guess you'll have to figure that one out then. I just think it seems like a hassle to jack up all those gadgets, adjust this, jack that, etc....when a center stand all you do it sit on the bike, put your foot on the center stand and pull back on the handle bars...Done ! And its compact and mobile
                What ever tho
                EDIT: On a side note, if your think sitting in a chair to work on your bike is too much...You might want to give that bike to your son and forget about yourself ever riding it. Its not a very comfortable bike and it will hurt your back if your that sensitive...as well as hurt your go-nads , hips, and wrist.
                Last edited by katanarider; 11-29-2018, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Ok, I guess you'll have to figure that one out then. I just think it seems like a hassle to jack up all those gadgets, adjust this, jack that, etc....when a center stand all you do it sit on the bike, put your foot on the center stand and pull back on the handle bars...Done ! And its compact and mobile
                  What ever tho
                  EDIT: On a side note, if your think sitting in a chair to work on your bike is too much...You might want to give that bike to your son and forget about yourself ever riding it. Its not a very comfortable bike and it will hurt your back if your that sensitive...as well as hurt your go-nads , hips, and wrist.
                  Lol! With that logic why sleep in a bed when the floor will get the job done! I asked what parts were needed for the center stand. Is that what I need to figure out on my own or are you referring to the valve adjustment. Haven't done much work on engines which is why I asked you to elaborate. I'm a newb.

We all weren't born Kat Gods!

Comment

I was saying that I didn't know you had back problems, so go ahead and figure out what you need in order to work on the thing easily. But, at the same time its like your making it harder than it really is.
                    Here are some links to get you going on the center stand.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention the 600cc Katanas didn't come with centerstands, so you'll have to look up 750cc parts to find them. Yes, they fit the 600cc too !

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

As for the valve adjustment. Start by using the "Search" function, then come back when you've brushed up on the process.
                    Last edited by katanarider; 11-29-2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention the 600cc Katanas didn't come with centerstands, so you'll have to look up 750cc parts to find them. Yes, they fit the 600cc too !
                      The 600's did come from factory with centerstands. My '88 had one but I chose to remove it.
                      Last edited by Lunatic; 11-29-2018, 07:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatic View Post
                        The 600's did come from factory with centerstands. My '88 had one but I chose to remove it.
                        It was an option on the 600, so the customer or dealer had to request it to come with the center stand at an additional cost.

It was standard equipped on the 750.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Slim pickings on 600 stands but I can move the spring bracket on the 750 stand with a little welding. Local salvage is checking what they have before I order online. Hoping to get some time for the bike Saturday.Ill snap some better pics of it and what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by y2ktj View Post
                            Slim pickings on 600 stands but I can move the spring bracket on the 750 stand with a little welding. Local salvage is checking what they have before I order online. Hoping to get some time for the bike Saturday.Ill snap some better pics of it and what I have.
                            Don't relocate any thing !!!! Everything is plug and play/ 100% interchangeable !
                            The springs are supposed to be tight as hell or it won't lift the stand and hold it up tight against the frame for 100 years. The official tool to help with the spring installation is a J-hook puller. However, if your worried about shipping a 3lb center stand from ebay, then the addition of a 1/2 lb part might break the bank.
                            Last edited by katanarider; 11-30-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Was thinking post stand in my above post. Read through the valve adjustment in the Haynes manual. Give it a go tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X