X

3 "new" to me bikes!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 "new" to me bikes!

Finally was able to go pick up the bikes Ive been lookin at for weeks.
    2 85 kat 750s and 1 85 gs 750 for parts.
    One kat is for my buddy and the other is mine.
    As for mine considering its age it is in VERY nice shape! But needs work, been sitting for 8 years the man said.
    Havent gone through it fully yet but so far i know that itll need battery, all basic maintenance, some rust in the tank, wont go into gear, no clutch lever, tires, chain, sprockets, carbs redone.
    Have to do a lead down and compression tests
    Any recommendations as to what parts to buy other things to look closer at ect.. nothing top of the line for now just need to get it safetied and running. Im hoping $1500 will do it. as long as the motors good.

If I were you... I would concentrate on getting her running first just to see if the charging system, engine and trans are ok.

Then go on to the brakes, chain, tires etc.

Then worry about the pretty stuff...

But that would be me.
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Ya thats what i was thinkin to.
      odometer says 73000 kms. Im thinkin rebuild.
      Which is why in another one of my posts iv been inquiring about a 05+ gsxr engine.
      If i gotta rebuild anthing I want it to make more power so my thinking is by the time i rebuild with high compression, cam, head work, convert to efi ect. To get close to the power the stock gsxr750s are making for the money i should prolly try swapping in a newer engine. found a couple from totalled bikes with 10000-25000 kms for $750-1500.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
        2014 Ducati Monster 1200
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Originally posted by slam816 View Post
          Ya thats what i was thinkin to.
          odometer says 73000 kms. Im thinkin rebuild.
          Which is why in another one of my posts iv been inquiring about a 05+ gsxr engine.
          If i gotta rebuild anthing I want it to make more power so my thinking is by the time i rebuild with high compression, cam, head work, convert to efi ect. To get close to the power the stock gsxr750s are making for the money i should prolly try swapping in a newer engine. found a couple from totalled bikes with 10000-25000 kms for $750-1500.
          But then you need to rewire the whole bike, use a different gas tank that holds a fuel pump, find somewhere to mount the large radiator for the GSXR engine....just swap in an 1127 motor. Would be cheaper and have a bunch of power.

Plus there is the fact that the newer bikes use downdraft throttle bodies that suck air from under the tank. Can't do that on your old Pop-up without using a completely customized gas tank and modifying the crud out of the old style frame, basically cutting the backbone out of it. The newer aluminum frames don't have a backbone, remember that. Last but not least, the water cooled motors are taller due to different valve angles and such. Frame would need extensive modification to fit the motor.

There is a reason it hasn't been done yet. That's all.

Comment

Unless there is something wrong with the engine, at 73k it will not need a rebuild.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
              Unless there is something wrong with the engine, at 73k it will not need a rebuild.
              Yeah, that's what, 40 something thousand miles?

Comment

Originally posted by slam816 View Post
                Finally was able to go pick up the bikes Ive been lookin at for weeks.
                2 85 kat 750s and 1 85 gs 750 for parts.
                One kat is for my buddy and the other is mine.
                As for mine considering its age it is in VERY nice shape! But needs work, been sitting for 8 years the man said.
                Havent gone through it fully yet but so far i know that itll need battery, all basic maintenance, some rust in the tank, wont go into gear, no clutch lever, tires, chain, sprockets, carbs redone.
                Have to do a lead down and compression tests
                Any recommendations as to what parts to buy other things to look closer at ect.. nothing top of the line for now just need to get it safetied and running. Im hoping $1500 will do it. as long as the motors good.
                I was thinking of picking those up but don't have the room right now. If your friend needs a head fairing and other parts I might be able to help you out. PM me and we can talk.
                Gammas and Katanas

Comment

well gammarider im glad u didnt. haha
                  i really like this bike!
                  as far as the parts i will keep that in mind thank you.

I pulled the plugs and looked into the cylinders and can see some oil and crud on the piston tops. A basic overhaul (gaskets rings bearings hone) will most likely be enough.
                  Theres rust in the tank so have to do an acid wash or two.
                  Guy said he took the timing chain tensioner off but cant remember why so im guessing that i needs all that too.
                  Ultimate goal over prolly the next 5 years is to hit both drag strip and road courses with a quartermile in the high 9s.
                  For this year I just want to ride it a bit before fall and hopefully get to the strip once.

o ya and it wont go into gear :S
                  Last edited by slam816; 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

started tarring down the bike.. its in pretty good shape. some random pieces missing and hoses sunning nowhere :Ss

link to pics

Comment

9 second quarter mile on an old school 750? I wish you luck, and wish I could have a bank account like yours must be.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                        9 second quarter mile on an old school 750? I wish you luck, and wish I could have a bank account like yours must be.
                        I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be negative about it. I know that a Bandit 1200 motor can be stuffed into that frame with much effort and a lot of modification. Was done by one of the boys on the UK katana site.
                        Gammas and Katanas

Comment

9s shouldnt be that unrealistic. Provided i can get a water cooled efi engine into that frame and the right sprockets, drop hopefully 60 lbs off the bike. Or am I completely out to lunch?
                          Also does anyone know how to register on Old skool suzuki? cant find a register button anywhere.

Comment

if you need some parts, I will sell you two complete 750 pop-ups for $2500....$1250 each. both complete, and both ran when I got them. I just haven't used them and they have been in storage. one needs a ring job.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

anyone have a link to a b12 swap into the old kat?

Comment

Working...
                              X