Tried to remove decals... can't get the glue off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tried removing mine...

Originally posted by bigbri_78
    I tried removing mine on my 2006 Kat, same color as yours...

Anyway, I wouldn't recomend asphault

Let me know how getting the one on the other side goes.
    Did you finish the other side yet?

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
      This took me about 9 minutes to remove all the glue.
      Bruh, I've been at it for an hour! Although it is removing the adhesive residue it's requiring many back and forth motion. What's the RPM on th drill you used? I'm using 600 RPM (inst. recommend 3200 - 4000 max) the only drill I have access to that will grip the tread. I also see you took off the faring, I left mines on. Maybe I will remove. Thanks!
      Round Rock, TX

Comment

Hey... To get the majority of it off, I left the fairings on. I would try putting more force (not too much). I found if I stayed in one area for a bit, after it starts taking it off, just work that same area. Let me know how it goes.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I got my smart eraser thingy in the mail - it works great, but takes off clearcoat and paint if you're not careful (most likely due to age of my paint, and over zealous technique). Doesn't really bother me as I'm repainting everything anyway...but just be real, real careful when using that thing.
          02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
          01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
          93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

Comment

wd40 works well

Comment

I got a few hot spots on mines as well. I'm not having as much success as gytr did. I'm throwing in the towel. Maybe it's due to only having a 600 rpm drill. Nonetheless, the few hot spots I've gotten warrant a new paint job. Beware all pre's removing decals can be hazardous to the look of your bike. Be prepared to have body work and a new paint job performed.
              Round Rock, TX

Comment

Re: decals

Originally posted by james71
                Would you katriders consider it risky
                to remove the decals myself from a
                (darn near new) 2006 750 Kat?
                I've read this thread up and down and
                keep seeing that metal-looking surface
                underneath when I pulled one back slightly.
                Is it a layer of the decal? What is it??
                Can't be metal, but is the decal multi-layered?

Would you??? Go for iT???
                All you need is a hairdryer to heat the sticker up. It took my decals of about 30days after I bourght my 05 new. I used butter for the glue though same concept as gum in hair. The decal is layered, heat it up some more and the whole sticker will come up. If you're worried about scratches dont use scrapers use your fingernails. Real simple and clean.
                sigpic

Comment

Best to use, use 3M adhesive remover. In a yellow can about $4. Works awesome and won't hurt the finish on anything. Smells nice to. Spray on, leave for about 5 minutes, wipe off...

Comment

might be late but go jo hand cleaner works

Comment

New thread link...

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                      and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I just removed the decal off the rear fairing last weekend, and with a little elbow greese was able to get all the residue off by using a tennis ball cut in half and turned inside out. I am assuming it is the same principle used here, just takes a bit longer as it is not hooked up to a drill, but for the cost of nothing as I had one laying around the garage, I was happy.
                        "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
                        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

another thing that works really good its called a wax wheel its like a big eraser i have used on cars manytimes and gets the glue right off. you can get those at your local parts stores and it only runs like 5-10$

Comment

Originally posted by Lehbs View Post
                            I just removed the decal off the rear fairing last weekend, and with a little elbow greese was able to get all the residue off by using a tennis ball cut in half and turned inside out. I am assuming it is the same principle used here, just takes a bit longer as it is not hooked up to a drill, but for the cost of nothing as I had one laying around the garage, I was happy.

Took my decals off my 96 the end of last season, couldn't get the glue off, used the tennis ball today an it worked real well. Tried all the chemicals an nothing, and an inside out tennis ball did the trick, seems crazy to me.
                            Well it saved alot of money so im happy.
                            thanks Lehbs for the tip.

Comment

I'm just going to put this out there for anyone trying to rmove decals from anything. There is a technique to removing these decals while leaving little or no residue behind and its really simple. When you are pulling the decal off after heating it up a bit, try your best not to "roll" the decal backwards. Once you get a corner started, pull the decal AWAY from the bike, DO NOT pull it in the opposite direction(I hope this makes since). I've did alot of decal/pinstripe application and removal a few years back on the job on many different vehicles and this worked almost everytime.....when you pull it straight out and away from from the object that its stuck to, the decal will usually take the adhesive with it. I dont really know the physics of why this works, but an older gentalman that I worked and raced with(Thanks Leon) taught me this. The only time it doesnt work is if the decal is so old and brittle that has to be scraped off. On another note, its also important to heat it up just enough to loosen the adhesive but not enough to turn it into complete goo and if your leaving alot of adhesive behind, that sounds like you may in fact be heating the decals up a bit too much. Hope this helps someone in the future so that they dont have to go through this same ordeal.
                              sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
                              RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                              I Miss You Pop
                              2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
                              BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

WD 40!!!
                                Thats all you need to take off decals and excess glue residue.. Just make sure you wipe off any excess when youre done. If you let it sit then it will start to eat away at your paint
                                sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

Comment

Working...
                                X