X

Gas Tank Dent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Dent

So, while doing work on the bike, I had unbolted the tank and as I set down tools, the SOB decided to slip off the far side. Now thats a sickening sound. So now I have a perfectly good tank with some significant scratches and a dent about 3 inches wide and 1 inch deep. Any suggestions on how/if I can pull this out? or should I just replace?
    Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead.

In a world ruled by Swine, All pigs are up-wards mobile.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

need pix. I have heard that you can fill about half way with h2O and freeze but I wouldn't try that without more research.
    02' Katana 600
    D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Depending on size, and if there isn't a crease, dry ice might pop it back out. I don't know where you would get dry ice though.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

If it is not bad I would look for a paintless dent removal place in your area. They have tools to reach inside and pop out the dent. You could also try it yourself if you can reach it.

Comment

Can't really reach it, dents front right corner, and I think it might have creased the metal. I've never heard of this freezing technique. Has anyone got it to work?
          Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead.

In a world ruled by Swine, All pigs are up-wards mobile.
          -Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

dunno I have just been told about it cause i had a lil dent from handle bar from previous owner. I just filled it with bondo when cause I was painting it
            02' Katana 600
            D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Originally posted by StSimone View Post
              Can't really reach it, dents front right corner, and I think it might have creased the metal. I've never heard of this freezing technique. Has anyone got it to work?
              As far as dry ice, I used it with varying success on my old Jimmy after hail damage. Some of them it worked on, some of them it didn't. Those are pretty small dings though.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

How does it work? Do you just put the dry ice in the ding and it shrinks?

Comment

The dry ice freezes (or significantly cools) the metal, as metal cools it contracts, POP!

I've just placed some on the dent and then gone around the surrounding metal with another piece to cool it all down.

It is actually less likely to come out if it is in the corner, as the metal has more significant shape there than on a flat spot. But, it will either work or it won't and dry ice is pretty cheap.
                  Last edited by mharrison; 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM.
                  -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                  -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Working...
                  X