X

Glad to be here!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to be here!

Greetings to all! As a user of many other forums for my myriad previous bikes, I am sure this will be an invaluable resource for me and my new toy, a 2002 600. Bought it from a very nice young man in the Coast Guard that was moving and wanted to get rid of his bike quick. Happened to be in the right place at the right time. Bike is unmolested except for a few stickers that I have mainly removed already. 8700 Miles with new tires, brakes, battery, all for $1700. Stage 1 jet kit is ordered, hope it makes as big a difference as it did on my 1200 Bandit. Looking at some $25 shorty levers from ebay, possibly some raised clip-ons (getting old and inflexible stinks) and a few other things. Look forward to pestering you for advice.
    Attached Files

Welcome! 1 easy way to get a 3/4" rise is to install the top triple tree off a 750. (You'd have to look for '98-02 donors). Throttle/choke/clutch cables will all be long enough as the 750s use the exact same cables. You will need longer brake lines.
    Enjoy the bike!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Real easy to put higher bars on the 600. Right place at the right time is right! Fantastic find I would say. Welcome to KR.

Comment

Am looking at these on ebay:

If I would also need a longer brake line, would the 750 one work? If not, I would probably try to source a stainless line.

Comment

No idea about the clip ons but for SS lines:
          Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
          swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
          Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Very popular on here. I installed mine about 2 months ago now. $91 shipped for a 2 line set up in the front and normal in the rear. Should be about the same or cheaper than getting OEM rubber lines.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR. Sounds like you got a deal.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Those clipons will not raise your bars. I have some machined aluminum spacers I would sell. They fit under the existing clipon. I was able to make a bracket to move the brake line splitter up a bit but it should have a longer brake line. I bought them for $120 and would sell for $75. If one inch rise is enough they are great. I found that I still was getting numb so ended up installing 7/8" bar risers from an old Honda and some Bikemaster Daytona bend bars. It cost $75 but $35 of it was for a spare upper triple (just in case). It is easy to do. I would not recommend getting the spare triple. Had two ss brakelines made for $69 at a hydraulic hose outfit.
                I would love to sell the risers I have but honestly, putting standard bars on is the way to go. I got the bar clamps for $10 at a salvage yard. I am planning on changing them to some adjustable one for dirt bikes as I could bring the bars back towards me about an inch. Only problem is that they cost about $100.

Comment

Welcome.

Nice clean bike with tasteful mods.
                  2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                  2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                  1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                  1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                  1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice. For the time being I guess I should take a few longer rides to see if raising the bars is worth the time & expense. Rschlegel, if I find I do want some minor height change, I will be in touch, thanks. First things first, gotta get the jet kit in!

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      Thanks to all for the advice. For the time being I guess I should take a few longer rides to see if raising the bars is worth the time & expense. Rschlegel, if I find I do want some minor height change, I will be in touch, thanks. First things first, gotta get the jet kit in!
                      No problem. Some other things that help are over grips and cramp buster. Over grips are foam grips that slip over your existing grips. They are larger so your grip is not as tight on a small grip and lessens vibration. The cramp buster let's you release your grip and cruise using your palm.

Comment

Welcome to KR.
                        Keith Paton
                        Red Kat 600 00 SOLD
                        13 GSXR750

Comment

Welcome!
                          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to kr

Comment

welcome aboard
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X