• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Victoria B.C.

1999 Black in the aesthetically pleasing rebuild

Welcome to kr and post pictures

Comment

Welcome.
      I am on the island too, in Sidney. Post a pic of your ride. We like pictures.
      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
      V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
      Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Sorry I'm so rarely on here. Currently rebuilding carbs and rear end. 1999 Black 600

Comment

Welcome to Katriders
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome aboard. If you haven't found it yet, carbs 102 is a great how to for carb clean/rebuild. There's even a video version.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome.

So I followed Carbs 102 to the best of my ability. I bought the Morgan Carbtune and it arrived yesterday. I started the bike up (wasn't running great) and let it warm up. Tried to ease the choke back and it immediately died on me. Tried adjusting the idle to compensate for it dying but nothing seemed to work for me. Killed the battery continuing to try and get it to idle once I eased back on the choke. I am concerned I've adjusted the floats incorrectly. I think I messed up with how to hold the carb when making my float measurement. I am also unsure of my fuel/air screw. Can someone confirm? 13+/-.5 mm from edge of body to "bottom" of float while tipped at what angle in what posistion?? Fuel/air screw 2 turns out from all the way in? I'm having a hell of a time and I have a new baby girl and I just don't have time to spend hours messing around again nor the money to just take it to a shop. If there's anyone in Victoria BC that could come help me I'd gladly supply the beer!

Thanks

Comment

Possible and you don't use the choke for syncing, use the idle adjuster.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

I used the choke the start the bike and get it warm. Am I supposed to leave the choke on while synching? I thought I was supposed to get it warm and with choke off bring up the idle to 1750ish to do my synching. Problem is as soon as I go to reduce choke revs drop and it dies so I can't get the idle up to do the synching ei h the choke off. Can I sync with choke on?....id assume not but I could be wrong

Comment

Yes, you are correct. Did you bench sync the carbs before you installed them? Try using the idle adjuster while reducing the choke......it sounds like the pilot circuit is still dirty.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

By bench sync do you mean the visual sync? Adjusted screws so that all were showing half of the hole. I'm going to take the carbs off again and check float height and fuel/air mixture screws and visual sync. How can I ensure pilot circuit is clean? I also removed throttle position sensor and didn't mark the original location. I followed the directions using a multimeter to get the proper values. But I am maxed out in one direction.... I'll take some pictures once I get into it again.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I'll keep you posted.

G

Comment

That has no effect on the carb function, it's just a slight timing change under light throttle. The only way to clean a pilot circuit is to soak the disassembled carb in a dip type cleaner but, it seems hard to get in Canada. I'm not sure what they used.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                          X