GIXXER or Big Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIXXER or Big Kat?

Hi!

I might be adding another bike to the stable and have been eyeing both the GIXXER (oil cooled: 86-91) and the big kats (GSX1100F: 88-94).

I have had a chance to try out a few GSXRs, but have never touched a GSX1100F.

I already know that the first is all performance oriented, and that the second is more focused on touring. However I would like to have insight from anyone who has ridden both of these.

Thanks!

It has been a loooong time since I drove a GXSR (uh, drove one in '89), so I won't even describe it as it was a short run on a buddies bike. But hey, I have owned a '91 Kat1100 since '97, so I can tell you a little.
    The kat is a heavy bike that can feel like a pig.Pushed, the suspension will bottom as easy as the stock market did last October. It is a bike excels in nothing, but is average to good everywhere else.The best thing about the bike is long distance cruising. I found the stock seat painful, but the Corbin transformed it. It is fast, heck, top speed for the Kat1100 was actually higher than the gxsr (the kat is pretty aero), all that weight is nice when cruising as it is stable at speed. The Kat is more versatile than a GXSR and if you don't have a long distance tourer, get a kat. In handling, the GXSR will kill it. If you want something that really handles, the Kat will leave you cold.To minimize the feel of the heft of the bike, they put on those 16" wheels that were all the rage in the '80's and they really don't have much width to them. The stock brakes feel like wood, but I found mine adequate with fresh fluid and stainless steel lines.
    Around town, the Kat can be a pain to whip around, but sometimes I throw on soft bags and each can hold one twelve pack of beer (ask me how I know!).
    I'd say to get a Kat, throw some cheap @$$ soft bags on it and take it for five day road trip. I took mine for a week long trip to Eureka, CA, drove through the redwoods, drove down highway 1 to San Simeon, then to Ventura, CA, with large duffle bag on back, soft bags. It gave new appreciation for this heavy kitty.

Comment

Never rode an 11, but I owned an 86 GSXR750. Neat bikes. I would recommend you go with an 88-up model, as the frames got stronger. 17" wheels will open up your tire options as well. Another big plus, is that there is still a big following for the old GSXR's, so there's no shortage of knowledge pertaining to them on the interwebs.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
        It has been a loooong time since I drove a GXSR (uh, drove one in '89), so I won't even describe it as it was a short run on a buddies bike. But hey, I have owned a '91 Kat1100 since '97, so I can tell you a little.
        The kat is a heavy bike that can feel like a pig.Pushed, the suspension will bottom as easy as the stock market did last October. It is a bike excels in nothing, but is average to good everywhere else.The best thing about the bike is long distance cruising. I found the stock seat painful, but the Corbin transformed it. It is fast, heck, top speed for the Kat1100 was actually higher than the gxsr (the kat is pretty aero), all that weight is nice when cruising as it is stable at speed. The Kat is more versatile than a GXSR and if you don't have a long distance tourer, get a kat. In handling, the GXSR will kill it. If you want something that really handles, the Kat will leave you cold.To minimize the feel of the heft of the bike, they put on those 16" wheels that were all the rage in the '80's and they really don't have much width to them. The stock brakes feel like wood, but I found mine adequate with fresh fluid and stainless steel lines.
        Around town, the Kat can be a pain to whip around, but sometimes I throw on soft bags and each can hold one twelve pack of beer (ask me how I know!).
        I'd say to get a Kat, throw some cheap @$$ soft bags on it and take it for five day road trip. I took mine for a week long trip to Eureka, CA, drove through the redwoods, drove down highway 1 to San Simeon, then to Ventura, CA, with large duffle bag on back, soft bags. It gave new appreciation for this heavy kitty.
        Hi!

That's exactly the kind of feedback that I was looking for. Hopefully other riders will chime in.

I know the feeling with heavy bikes. My regular ride is a 2000 Honda Valkyrie. I naively believe that a heavy Kat's weight will not bother me.

Thanks for the insight. It is very appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
          Never rode an 11, but I owned an 86 GSXR750. Neat bikes. I would recommend you go with an 88-up model, as the frames got stronger. 17" wheels will open up your tire options as well. Another big plus, is that there is still a big following for the old GSXR's, so there's no shortage of knowledge pertaining to them on the interwebs.
          Good insight! If I shop for a GIXXER, it will most probably be oil-cooled 1100 ... 88-92.
          Thanks for the feedback!
          What are you riding now (not important ... just curious)?

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
            Good insight! If I shop for a GIXXER, it will most probably be oil-cooled 1100 ... 88-92.
            Thanks for the feedback!
            The couch. But you can check my garage for my neverending project.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              The couch. But you can check my garage for my neverending project.
              It looks great! Keep it up!
              It will be your own, and very unique!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!
                The only GXSRs to consider are those years. The 90's were not good as they got fatter and fatter.
                Personally, I have always wanted a 88-92 GXSR in blue and white, mint condition. They are sooo hot! Visit the kat 1100 forum for more info about the kat 1100. One thing I have found out is that the hand grips can buzz pretty good if you don't have a good synch, so keep that in mind if you drive one that is buzzy. Also keep in mind that in good tune, these fat cats can really fly. Stock bikes could do high ten second 1/4 miles and I think the best time I saw in a magazine was 10.79. Ditch that that super heavy stock exhaust (I think it weighed 40lbs!) get a rejet (use Factory, not Dynojet!) and you could be looking at mid to low tens, pretty good for a 20 year old bike in my book.

Comment

The only GXSRs to consider are those years. The 90's were not good as they got fatter and fatter.
                  Personally, I have always wanted a 88-92 GXSR in blue and white, mint condition. They are sooo hot! Visit the kat 1100 forum for more info about the kat 1100. One thing I have found out is that the hand grips can buzz pretty good if you don't have a good synch, so keep that in mind if you drive one that is buzzy. Also keep in mind that in good tune, these fat cats can really fly. Stock bikes could do high ten second 1/4 miles and I think the best time I saw in a magazine was 10.79. Ditch that that super heavy stock exhaust (I think it weighed 40lbs!) get a rejet (use Factory, not Dynojet!) and you could be looking at mid to low tens, pretty good for a 20 year old bike in my book.
                  Great insight! I'm certainly leaning towards the Kat ... but wanted to get Kat riders input.
                  I agree 100% about the Factory Pro jet kits. What Stage 3 kit do they have available for the GSX1100F. I know ... it will have pods with the kit.
                  Thanks!
                  Normand

Comment

Great insight! I'm certainly leaning towards the Kat ... but wanted to get Kat riders input.
                    I agree 100% about the Factory Pro jet kits. What Stage 3 kit do they have available for the GSX1100F. I know ... it will have pods with the kit.
                    Thanks!
                    Normand
                    Factory doesn't offer a stage 3 kit for the kat. I talked to tech on the phone there and he did not see why a stage 3 from a GXsr wouldn't work (early ones had 34mm carbs) but I dunno. If it has pods, chances are that it has a Dyno kit. I have written at length in the kat1100 why they suck (I have tried dyno and Factory on my bike). The kat is a nice running, smooth bike. It doesn't make sense to throw a jet kit and pods at it that will make it run like crap just so you can eek out an extra 10hp. I know that with Factory, not only did it feel more powerful, it ran way smoother. For example, dyno gives you needles that are start fat, then abruptly get narrow and stay narrow. Factory needles are like stock- start fat, gradually get narrower, they look like a stretched out dunce cap. That design will give you better throttle response. It the bike has pods, you will want to replace them with an air box and rejet the carbs with a factory kit. You might also need new pilot air jets if the oem ones were drilled out ( I know the kat1100 kit comes with a drill to do it!). The cost of the kit is $110 or so. A used airbox is maybe $40. Outside of exhaust and jetting, I think that trying to eek out more power out of the Kat 1100 is a waste of time and $.It already has a lot of power and if you want a lot more power, you are better off shopping for a used Busa. It is better to make the bike a comfy, smooth ride. Get the jetting fix, find a Corbin, throw on some soft bags and just ride the kitty!

Comment

Factory doesn't offer a stage 3 kit for the kat. I talked to tech on the phone there and he did not see why a stage 3 from a GXsr wouldn't work (early ones had 34mm carbs) but I dunno. If it has pods, chances are that it has a Dyno kit. I have written at length in the kat1100 why they suck (I have tried dyno and Factory on my bike). The kat is a nice running, smooth bike. It doesn't make sense to throw a jet kit and pods at it that will make it run like crap just so you can eek out an extra 10hp. I know that with Factory, not only did it feel more powerful, it ran way smoother. For example, dyno gives you needles that are start fat, then abruptly get narrow and stay narrow. Factory needles are like stock- start fat, gradually get narrower, they look like a stretched out dunce cap. That design will give you better throttle response. It the bike has pods, you will want to replace them with an air box and rejet the carbs with a factory kit. You might also need new pilot air jets if the oem ones were drilled out ( I know the kat1100 kit comes with a drill to do it!). The cost of the kit is $110 or so. A used airbox is maybe $40. Outside of exhaust and jetting, I think that trying to eek out more power out of the Kat 1100 is a waste of time and $.It already has a lot of power and if you want a lot more power, you are better off shopping for a used Busa. It is better to make the bike a comfy, smooth ride. Get the jetting fix, find a Corbin, throw on some soft bags and just ride the kitty!
                      I wasn't clear with my comments. Sorry about that.
                      I am a fan of airboxes. If and when I'm able to purchase a GSX1100F, I will keep the OEM airbox.
                      However my latest project, a 1980 GS1100ET (16 valves) will comprise GSXR suspension mods. Once mono shocked, I will have no choice but remove the airbox and go with pods because there will be no place for the airbox. I will be using the big Kat carbs (34mm) on this bike. Thus the reason for mentioning the Stage 3 kit. I had seen the GSXR one on the Factory Pro web site, but wondered if there was another one (for the 34mm carbs on 1100s).
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X