X

my 96 street fighter project....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 96 street fighter project....

Hey guys I just got in this forum a couple days ago and posted in the intro thread... I thought I would start a build thread to keep track of my progress and also to get some opinions and advice etc... It is a 96 600 katana that I picked up for $200 from a buddy of mine, supposed to have about 12k on it but does not have the gauge cluster so who knows. Here is the pics!

So far I have pulled the gas tank and drained the old gas out and started sanding on it. I think I want to paint it semi gloss black. I am going to pull the carbs and clean them maybe this weekend and get a battery and see if I can get her running. So far I know I am going to need a headlight, gauges, battery, and a front tire...

Gauges I was thinking something like this, what do yall think?

Headlight I want to do something very similar to centidude's but I dont have any motorcycle junkyards near me so I am not sure what to do there... I think I shall look on ebay or something... Centidude if you read this what did you pull yours from?

For the tire I use to run pirelli's on my 600rr but I have heard great things about pilot power's and rode on a set for a short trip and liked them. What size should I get?

I am also thinking of doing a single exit exhaust with a slip on... I have seen the delkovic systems on ebay but they seem like they would be loud? Any thoughts?
    Last edited by calebchesh; 11-10-2011, 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I like pilot powers.. have them on my 600 and no complaints. They are pretty good in the wet road conditions too

Comment

What size would you reccomend?

Comment

I would try a vance and hines full exhaust I have it on mine 4 into 1 headers it sound good and is pretty loud but not obnoxious

Comment

Originally posted by m3xinmaine View Post
          I would try a vance and hines full exhaust I have it on mine 4 into 1 headers it sound good and is pretty loud but not obnoxious

hmm sounds good! i have a bid in on a full d&d exhaust on ebay and we will see how that goes...

Comment

If you do a Delkevic I reccommend 14 inch and larger, especially if your worried bout it being too loud.
            I am getting ready to pick up a spare D&D full system for the 771 build.

My first headlight was off some 80's Yamaha cruiser, the current one is off a 1975 Norton Commando, and the one being prepped for installation is an aftermarket.

It isn't much too look at but your welcome to my first headlight for the price of shipping. You can see pics of it in the beginning section of my build thread. If your interested send me a pm.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Thats the same gauge I'm currently running. Nice and compact too, so you can put it just about anywhere

I will also 2nd the Pilots. Very happy with mine so far.

Comment

Ok guys I have not had any time to work on the bike, my buddy's e21 BMW is sucking up all my time lol. I scored a full D&D exhaust for under $200 that will be in this week, I have a headlight figured out I think (thanks centidude!), the gauges will have to wait a bit. I did get a new battery and charge it up and the bike turns over! I should be able to get the carbs cleaned this week and try to start it.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Keep going
                  I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                  -Unholy m-
                  Current project: Un-Katchable
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
                    Thanks for the update. Keep going
                    Yah sure thing! I like your bike sir... I will get some pics of the progress tonight hopefully... What does everyone do for mirrors? I like this style and the price but how would you mount those?

I am thinking about getting these as well... in the gold... Is the clutch to hard to pull if you get it in a shorty lever?

Last edited by calebchesh; 11-14-2011, 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thank you. My bike is far from it's finished state. Mainly because I'm half a world away from it right now.

I wouldn't think the clutch would be any harder to pull then usual with the shorty ones vs. the longer ones. I find that over the years, I tent to use two fingers with the levers rather then all four so the levers I get next will be the short ones. I've heard there may be quality issues with those ones but not too sure. I will be going with the pazo levers when I get to purchasing them.
                      I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                      -Unholy m-
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calebchesh View Post
                        What does everyone do for mirrors? I like this style and the price but how would you mount those?
                        Not sure if its just my phone or what, but I can't see any mirror picture or link. Personally i would stick with a bar end style mirror.

I bought some nice universal mirrors that use the levers pivot as a mount. If I tightened down to keep the mirror from moving it would lock the levers. Keep it loose and the mirror would just spin.

Comment

I was wondering about the link too. Those look cool. You have to work out a mount for them though. Maybe there is some way of mounting them on the ends of the bars? That would be my choice of location
                          -Unholy m-
                          sigpic

Comment

hmm yah it says they come with mounting hardware... im not seeing any but i could probably come up with something... yah idk about the levers, I think i might get a set and see what the deal is I mean they are pretty cheap so if they are not good quality its not the end of the world... I just bought Skyrim... so I wont be putting the time in on the bike tonight lol but this week is my goal to have it running...

Comment

Working...
                            X