No announcement yet.
X

do it yourself polished wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you painted the wheel graphite, did you have to strip it down first, prime it, or anything? Or did you just paint over it?

I am getting rid of all the purple on my bike, and would like to keep my polished lip, and paint the inner wheel but wasn't for sure how to go about it.

Anyone else know if just a rattle can, and some clear would look or last very long?
    2002 R1
    Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

I used a rattle can for all of it. I stripped the entire wheel first because i was toying with the idea of polishing it all but then changed my mind when i realized how big of a job it was going to be. with chemical stripper it is really not hard to strip the entire wheel. after i stripped it i sanded the entire wheel and polished the lip, cleaned it with water, then laquer thinner then a tack clocth. after that i sprayed on a couple coats of primer, let it dry, couple coats of graphite, let it dry, took off the masking tape and then a couple coats of clear. I let it sit for a few days before I put a tire back on it so i wouldn't mar it. didn't do this for the front wheel so i have a few minor imperfections in it from it only being dry a day.

paint work is mostly in the prep and your job comes out basically as good as your prep is. if you prep it well i see no reason why the paint would not last a very long time.

-Tyler

Comment

I would like to polish my wheels too, but they are different than the wheels pictured above. There are far too many 90 degree angles in the wheels I have and I think it would be difficult to do a good job. I'm thinking ill get them powder coated or I may buy a new set. Any one know what other wheels are interchangeable with an 88 600?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto
          I would like to polish my wheels too, but they are different than the wheels pictured above. There are far too many 90 degree angles in the wheels I have and I think it would be difficult to do a good job. I'm thinking ill get them powder coated or I may buy a new set. Any one know what other wheels are interchangeable with an 88 600?
          I believe all Kat wheels should fit.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Corey and I painted my centers graphite as well this past weekend. The only prep we did was clean the wheel really good. The paint did not call for a primer, so we figured we would see how it is going to hold up with it. I didn't clear it either. I plan on really testing the Dupli-Color wheel coating.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

So about the clear coating. i polished my wheels this weekend. Going to redo the back because I used clear coat on it. The clear coat made a huge differnce on min...in a bad way. Made the shine fade out. I dont mind polishing them once every week or two since it takes like 5 minutes to do both of them. Anyone else done the polish job without clear and had any problems?

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaMan
                So about the clear coating. i polished my wheels this weekend. Going to redo the back because I used clear coat on it. The clear coat made a huge differnce on min...in a bad way. Made the shine fade out. I dont mind polishing them once every week or two since it takes like 5 minutes to do both of them. Anyone else done the polish job without clear and had any problems?

I didn't use clear coat on mine. I'll usually polish them once a month, and just wipe them when they get dirty. Maybe once a week, keeps a good shine.

KMB

Keep it simple.....1+1=2

Comment

Polish mine every couple weeks or so. THe Bandit is easy since it is just the edges, but the Katana is a PITA since both the entire wheels are polished. It is a pain to get to some spots.
                  Ron
                  MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                  X