X

Paints finished up :)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paints finished up :)

I've been working on this for a while, finally finsihed it up today!

I have a bunch of pictures of the process if someone would like to see more, but I'll just post a few. I did it with a rattle can and it came out really well. The most important thing about doing a paint job is the clear coat. I used a 2 stage clear, 2K. It was about $20 a can so kind of expensive, but it really finished it off nice.

First I primed it just flat gray. Then sprayed about 5-6 coats on. It kept soaking in in certain spots, so I sprayed until it was solid. It is metallic paint so I sprayed in the same direction.

After it was all blue, I started to mask it off. After the white stripe was dry, masked it off again, and sprayed the gray. After the front fairings were finished, i matched them up to the tank and then masked it off and sprayed the gray stripe and then the white. It took some time but turned out really well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joshi_88; 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM.

Very nice job. Congrats.
    /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
    ...and miles to go before I sleep.
    - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

looks nice

Comment

After the paint had dried for a long time. I sprayed the clear coat. 3-4 coats of it on the fairings, 4-5 on the tank. Out of a spray can it is a lot thinner of a coat than regular automotive paint so it takes a bit more. Let it dry thoroughly, and put it back on the bike.

Some tips are to make sure each coat is good and dry before masking or unmasking. Have a clean and dry area to work. Don't rush your paint. You will be happier with the result if you follow the directions on the can. Different paints have different drying times. This was my first time painting something to this extent so feel free to try it!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by johna600 View Post
          looks nice

Comment

Spraymax 2K clear is awesome stuff.
            Did my tank and liked it so much,
            going to finish the rest of the bike with it ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

One thing i would caution ANYONE painting a bike with rattle can or any kind of paint. MAKE SURE THE CLEAR IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE BASE. I once did an intricate paint job on something using rattle cans. it was friggin sweet. So i went to clear it to protect and once the clear started to dry it ate away and caused some of the rattle can paint to bubble off. i was ****ed as it took me 6 hours JUST to mask the damn thing off.
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Looks awesome. The finshed product is better than I imagined.
                '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

looks nice!
                  sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                  k9 GSX-R 600
                  GO VOLS!

Comment

Lookin' good.

Comment

One of the best rattlecan jobs I've seen on KR.
                      -
                      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

are you going to pinstripe the edges between stripes?
                        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I thought about doing that before I had it painted. Even bought the pinstripes. But It ended up coming out really good, there isnt at gap at all between the stripes. And before I put the final clear coat on, I wetsanded everything, so the stripes are nice and smooth as well, no edges to them. I am quite happy how it all turned out.

Comment

Working...
                          X