X

oil change help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change help

i changed the oil on my bike and i had one quick question when my bike is on the center stand and off the oil level in the looking glass is on the f but when i start the bike and let it run for a few minutes there is no oil in the looking glass and when i turn it off the glass fills back up to the f. is it fine the way it is or do i need to add more oil

your level is correct
    disappears when running because it is being pumped around
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Was that a big sigh of relief I heard?
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Think so
        If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

What is the best type of oil and filter to use on a Pre-98 Katana 600?

And ya... just realize I dug up an old thread... I was searching around for the answer but couldn't find it.... sry
          Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Personally I just go to the local dealer and ask for an OEM oil filter and a jug of 10W40 off of the shelf (not synthitic).

Ive been doing it that way for 10years and it works for me

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
              Personally I just go to the local dealer and ask for an OEM oil filter and a jug of 10W40 off of the shelf (not synthitic).

Ive been doing it that way for 10years and it works for me
              Usually thats what I do but one time I had to get a filter in a pinch and found O'Rielly had one. Looking at the filter before and after I couldn't tell any difference but I would recommend OEM whenever possible. Also stay away from synthetic on the older machines because sometimes it is too clean and will cause the engine to leak where there used to be sludge.
              1996 Katana 600. D&D Custom Paint Job, Vance and Hines Full System, factory pro jet kit.

Comment

i just changed my oil yesterday. I used synthetic Amsoil 20w 50 and a amsoil synthetic filter. I live in Florida so i decided to go with 20w 50
                sigpic
                http://eternal-mc.com
                http://eternalmc.freeforums.org

Comment

Oem filter, and whatever oil you want to run. I like amsoil and rotella t6, synthetic ftw.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well I don't have a dealer near me... can I pick up a filter from the Autozone
                    Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Originally posted by RedKat91 View Post
                      I've always used oem and will never rec. anything else. Check out the thread teddy and black peter have on oil filter internals, you'll see why.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

link me?

Also... what about the K&N oil filter.... it has always been great for all my cars, and my race car...?
                        Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Originally posted by RedKat91 View Post
                          You probably won't find anything worthwhile at Autozone, but NAPA actually sells very good filters for motorcycles, and I'm sure there is one close to you somewhere.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                            You probably won't find anything worthwhile at Autozone, but NAPA actually sells very good filters for motorcycles, and I'm sure there is one close to you somewhere.
                            Napa has the Wix filter for Kats, thats where I get mine. Around $6 I believe.
                            Originally posted by arsenic
                            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Well I picked up a REALLY nice K&N filter today for 12.99$ and put brand new 10w-40 in (4 quarts). SO glad I changed the oil today, it was thick and black/dark brown like Hershey's chocolate syrup.
                              Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Working...
                              X