X

Sprocket change/chain guard clearance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket change/chain guard clearance

I'm changing from a 47 to a 51 tooth sprocket on my 05 600, I was wondering if anyone had done that, and if the stock chain guard still fit because I noticed that my new sprocket is quite a bit bigger than the stock one.

And if it doesn't fit, does anyone know of any good after market chain guards?
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

But the aftermarket one would be made with the same clearance in mind anyway , I'd bet .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If you stay with a 50 rear, then you're still in the range of most of the more affordable and longer-lasting steel sprockets.....plus, there's nothing saying you can't nab a 14 tooth front sprocket as well (they're CHEAP!), and get a little crazier! A few guys on here have done it, and it adds some wicked torque to the bike.

On the other hand, if you've already bought the 51 tooth and it doesn't fit the chain guard....why not just REMOVE the guard? I'm not running one, and everything is just dandy. After my Artfibras rear hugger exploded and got sucked under the tire, I just left the whole rear end free of all that crap.....doesn't look bad at all!
      FrankenKat 1216
      GS Fiter 816
      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

I have a 52 tooth sprocket on mine, with no clearence problems. But mine is a 520 conversion. I don't think that makes a difference but it may.

Comment

Originally posted by rking
          I have a 52 tooth sprocket on mine, with no clearence problems. But mine is a 520 conversion. I don't think that makes a difference but it may.
          520/530 is just the width of the chain . No , it shouldn't make a difference .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X