Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bought me a new toy/project. Oldschool bobber.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought me a new toy/project. Oldschool bobber.

This beauty here is a 1982 Suzuki GS 450.

Where to begin: Well shes a Craigslist find for $600, with a clean title. Picked her up in the hood of Cincinnati where a guy had it sitting in his living room. (He was drunk when I went to look at it) I brought her home shoved in the back of my Mountaineer, that just shows you have little this thing is. I bet it doesnt weight 200 pounds, I picked the bike up out of the back of my truck by myself.

This little puppy has under 5000 miles, and it has the original tires. The rear frame has been chopped off and a metal plate has been welded in to make it a hard tail. The tank is a work in the process. The sides have been hammered in and it actually lookes pretty good, nice and semetric, but it needs a little bondo to get it finalized.

He swears it will run with a battery and gas, but we will see. It sounds like it has good compression though. Next week Ill see if she will fire up. Looks like it should be fun build. Scary part: rear drum.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Should be a fun little bike to cruise around when you're done.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Dang that thing has a few years on it ! Cool
      Too old to dream, too young to reason...
      I am fond of my rough edges.
      sigpic

Comment

nice project bike

Comment

I like that tank...
          Do it up right and it will look like one of those flat track Harleys ( I mean that in a good way)

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            I like that tank...
            Do it up right and it will look like one of those flat track Harleys ( I mean that in a good way)
            I was thinking the same thing. I love the tank, the guy I bought it from specializing in beating the crap out of tanks, lol. He showed me some finished ones that were really finely crafted. He just never finished this one.

Now Im thinking: Should I keep it a hard tail? Or hide a mono-shock under the seat like the Kat?

Comment

Colour me crazy.......but that bike would look cool with one of those old saddles with springs on the bottom.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'm so jealous I'd like to strangle you!

I'd keep it hard tailed, unless you can really figure a way to make a monoshock look classy on it. Personally, I'd figure out a saddle, do a major wiring cleanup, and then work on the brightwork (a little polishing, a little chrome...) and rock it!
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                  I'm so jealous I'd like to strangle you!

I'd keep it hard tailed, unless you can really figure a way to make a monoshock look classy on it. Personally, I'd figure out a saddle, do a major wiring cleanup, and then work on the brightwork (a little polishing, a little chrome...) and rock it!
                  Hehe, My wife was a little po'd, but I let her by new furniture so I got off the hook. I think Im going to keep in a hard tail, just clean it up real nice. Im going to finished the tins and have them painted the Gold color my old Ranger was, I loved that color. I plan on keeping it really simple and clean.

Comment

Nice find!
                    For sale thread Album
                    1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Nice find. You could make that a nice little bike. I'd keep it hard tail and put a solo seat on it with the springs on the bottom. Trailer fender on the rear cut real short and some stubby drag bars. I think a flat black would look good on that bike. The old GS's are die hard motors and once you get it running it shouldn't give you problems with regular maintenance.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                        Colour me crazy.......but that bike would look cool with one of those old saddles with springs on the bottom.

Comment

nice find!

Comment

Id love to come across something like that for my little lady.

I want to see it when youre done, going by the looks of the tank, its oging to look goooood.

Comment

Word...you have an interesting canvas to pull off some very creative ideas...
                              In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Working...
                              X