Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New Coils, ignition problems. Another one? Really?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
    Huh? It runs but, the coil resistance is way to low and the tach doesn't work....
    If the resistance is to low, bad coils... but we already know he has wrong coils.
    Last edited by rarva; 05-11-2016, 06:25 PM.
    GSX 600f '88
    ------------
    Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the manual, I'll go through it and see what I can find. I agree that testing what you have just mentioned above might be moot, since the bike runs, therefore the spark is there, proving the original CDI was bad. The coils have low resistance, but this is my third set of coils. They all seem to be made low resistance these days. The only way to get OEM is to buy a used ones from junk place, hoping they work. The CDI is a used one, therefore I will check all the connections like you have advised and will let you know by tomorrow, however I have a feeling it might be a CDI that is at fault, since the tacho worked just fine before the replacement... What should I do with those coils then?

Comment

They still make coils that will fit our bikes.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

For the gsx600f you got:
          Dynatek Ignition Coils 3.0 ohms DC1-1

Think it fits gsx750 also, but i'm not sure.
          GSX 600f '88
          ------------
          Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

Our ignition is not a "CDI" which stands for "Capacitor discharge ignition" which needs low primary resistance coils to work, our Igniter needs 3 ohm coils to work properly. The low ohm coils will probably fry the igniter sooner or later.
            There is usually nothing wrong with used coils as long as they test good, I just put used coils on mine and it runs great. Coils hardly ever go bad.
            There are TONS of used coils on Ebay. Better yet, get Dyna green coils (3 OHM).
            1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
            V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
            Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Originally posted by rarva View Post
              For the gsx600f you got:
              Dynatek Ignition Coils 3.0 ohms DC1-1

Think it fits gsx750 also, but i'm not sure.
              Fits all Kats
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Damn, these coils are nearly $200 for the set! Looks like I will have to get used ones that work in rain or work on mine so that they don't cut off in rainy weather. Like you said, I'm not looking to frying another CDI, and if low resistance coils will definitely do it, then I'm returning them immediately.

Comment

??!! $200 isn't bad for NEW coils, Suzuki would charge you that for one coil..
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Problem Resolved

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your help guys. I have resolved the issue, so I think it's only fair to give everyone a quick recap in case someone has a similar problem.

1. I replaced coils 3 times and each time manufacturer claimed these coils matched my bike, but they didn't. The resistance was nowhere near close to 3ohms, displayed by OEM Denso coils. When you replace coils, always make sure you have the right ones. I learnt that from this forum.

2. Using badly matched coils fried my CDI. I found a salvage one which run the bike, but did not run the tach. I replaced it and found another one that worked for both igniting and tach.

3. I could not trust any coils purchased online so following advice from you, I decided to protect my current coils from those microscopic hairline cracks. I then used 100% acetone (evaporates in seconds without trace) to clean the coils thoroughly. Masked connectors with a masking tape and covered them with acrylic conformal coating (with UV tracer for quality control). This coating prevents any moisture from getting through any cracks. I have not ridden through a pouring rain just yet, but so far so good. I'm using original coils and bike rides well.

If anyone has any questions or requires help, message me anytime and I'll be happy to help. This was a long research and frustration journey but I'm happy it is resolved.

Thanks everyone!

Airborne

Comment

Working...
                    X