Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

For those that the did the rf900 swingarm swap...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that the did the rf900 swingarm swap...

I got a problem with the shock linkage and dogbones, im not sure what i gotta do, i have a 92 gsxr shock and linkage and dogbones, as well as 97 rf900 linkage and dogbones but its just not lining up and i dunno if i gotta redo the shockmount point or what. if anyone can help me out i really appreciate it this is really gettin frustratin

this is a sample of what my '90 kat will look like if i ever get it done,

Comment

thanks but ive seen that post before, it says i need modified dogbones and shock mounts im not sure how i got to do it tho, from what i can c is to mount the lower shockmount on the frame where the center stand is and make custom extended dogbones, but im not sure of the lengh of 'em and if that would mess up the whole geometry of the suspention, this is my first bike so im learning as i go.

does waltari still visit these boards? hes the expert but i dont want to bother him cuz he sold his already.

Comment

Waltari does still visit, however I think this weekend is his move. Can you maybe post some pictures?
        I'd like to help since this is a cool mod and on a pre 98.

Comment

what is the difference between the RF swing arm swap and the 98+ swing arm on a pre 98? I've noticed that the rear caliper mounts on the bottom which is the main reason I went with a 98+ swing arm. I can tell the chain adjusters are different, but I went with Bandit chain adjusters. The 98+ swing arm is wider at the pivot tube so I had to grind that to the pre 98 size.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
            what is the difference between the RF swing arm swap and the 98+ swing arm on a pre 98?
            You need spacers for the pivot, not sure about the axle.

Comment

spacers for the pivot bolt, or pivot tube?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                spacers for the pivot bolt, or pivot tube?
                Oh for crying out loud!! Search!!

Waltari has spelled it out several times in posts. So use his username.
                I think it's stiffer and being alloy you can polish it.

Comment

here are sum pics i figured out the new mount is gonna have to be the center stand mount, i had to shave off the welded nuts that were in between the bracket to allow me to stick a bolt thr, im still gonna have to make a custom bearing for that side.

also i will have to make dogbones that are two inches longer, i dunno if that will be right lengh but i just want to first make everything attached then ill make diff, ones if i have to.

as for the sv subframe i have to weld in an L bracket with a hole to the old subframe so i can make it a bolt off/on thing and on the bottom im going to weld in a 1/2 X 3/4" bar and also drill a hole in it for the bottom mount, im not sure if im going to gusset that bracket yet.

well im slacking and i havent really worked on the bike that much but ill post new pics as i go along.

Comment

I used waltari's screen name and I searched I got nothing mr. search.

Comment

I did that swap and ran into the same problem. I went to home depot and bought some 1/4 inch by 1 1/2 inch flat bar. I made my own dogbones 2 inches longer. I traced the RF dogbones and ground one side of the new ones down(side facing the swinarm). I had to file the top shock mount hole a little to get the bolt to fit through and that was it. Not very hard but it took a few weeks of staring at it to figure it out.

Comment

Neoublie will make custom dogbones to spec, as long as you can use straight dogbones... Reasonable prices too, and top quality work. Send him a PM or an email.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X