X

Just did an oil change...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just did an oil change...

.. and went with Rotella T Syn. Since I did this I decided to drain the oil cooler, glad I did, quite a bit up there.
    Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
    '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
    '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
    '11 Kawasaki KLR650
    I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

I don't recomend Synthetic oil at all (causes the clutches to slip)

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
      And you arrrrreeee??????
      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
      '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Great, here we go again
        "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Lehbs View Post
          Great, here we go again
          Yeah really. I look for this thread to get closed. It was suppose to be more about draning the cooler.
          '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
          '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Let me know what you think of it. I'm running plain old rotella but am gonna switch next time I do some cross border shopping. It's 1/2 the price on the US side of the border compared to up here.
            Kyle

Comment

I'll try to save this thread!!! So if you just wait, like leave fumoto/drain open over night, will that drain out all the oil of the cooler, or does the extra little bit of just taiking the cooler off and draining it acutally get more?

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
                Thats bull, i run synthetic in my bandits, If I am not slipping my clutches with all the torque the bandit 1250 has. So this is bull. I have ran synthic in all my buike. last one was a 1000 and I out over 13k mile son it in less than 8 months. Ran synthitis in that one from the day I bought it used.

The synthitic oil causeing clutch slippage theory is crazy.
                Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by frobotz View Post

The synthitic oil causeing clutch slippage theory is crazy.
                  then you got lucky. I went with synthetic a few years back with my 1100 kat, and mine did indeed start to slip. it also made them "glaze" over, so I changed my clutch plates. thankfully I had an extra set kicking around.

I did it because I took a chance. some said you could...others said you couldn't. I now believe the latter.

personally, I think it all depends on the clutch plates themselves. if they are fairly old and have the start of glazing on them, then it increases the risk of slippage. mine were pretty old to start with, which is why I had an extra set.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

To those with the question about the oil cooler. If you look. the lines are at the top of the cooler. This is so oil can't drain back into the crankcase. It would take some time and oil starvation if you had to fill the cooler up then get oil to the top end every start up.

Comment

Ive never ever had a problem switching to fully synthetic oil. Never a clutch slip ever. If clutch discs are slipping its cause they are worn, or someone cant ride a motorcycle!
                      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hmm, 20k on synthetic, no slippage. I think Mojoe has it though, if your clutch plates are old, synth may cause them to go south.

Anyways, you can't drain your cooler without taking it off, as elkat eluded to.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                          Hmm, 20k on synthetic, no slippage. I think Mojoe has it though, if your clutch plates are old, synth may cause them to go south.

Anyways, you can't drain your cooler without taking it off, as elkat eluded to.
                          You don't have to drop the cooler, just completely unbolt BOTH lines from the block to drain most of it out.

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                          then you got lucky. I went with synthetic a few years back with my 1100 kat, and mine did indeed start to slip. it also made them "glaze" over, so I changed my clutch plates. thankfully I had an extra set kicking around.

I did it because I took a chance. some said you could...others said you couldn't. I now believe the latter.

personally, I think it all depends on the clutch plates themselves. if they are fairly old and have the start of glazing on them, then it increases the risk of slippage. mine were pretty old to start with, which is why I had an extra set.
                          It's not luck, you can't just use any synthetic in a bike. If it states "Energy Conserving" you shouldn't even use it if it's conventional oil.

This is not an oil debate, you may want to do some research. A lot of us have been using the correct full syn's in bikes for years.
                          Last edited by Fox Fader; 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                          '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
                            You don't have to drop the cooler, just completely unbolt BOTH lines from the block to drain most of it out.
                            Err, if you were trying to drain the lines only, that would make sense.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Hey Fox Fader I thought Rotella T Synthetic was a 5W40 won't that be a little thin?
                              "It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them"

KatRider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Uloset, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comment

Working...
                              X