X

Should I try SeaFoam or B12

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I try SeaFoam or B12

Ok... I know the best solution to clean a carburetor is to break them apart and clean them. Anyways, I have an 2003 Katana 600 that would idle only when the "choke" is applied halfway. It will rev up to 11000rpms with no problem but the choke has to be applied. Before I break them apart, I would like to try SeaFoam or B12. Which one should I use for my tank..?

I've used B12 Chemtool several times and it has done well for me. Seafoam has a good reputation as well. I'm sure you will get similar results with either of them. If it's so bad that the bike won't idle at all without the choke halfway on , then it might be too clogged for the fuel cleaners to do anything, though.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

What is the average price a technician will charge to get the carburetor cleaned?

Comment

I think that if you took it to a dealer, they'll charge around $400. Take it to a private individual and you can get it done for around $100.

Comment

usually two hours to do a proper carb cleaning
          sounds like you pilot jets are gummed up. if thats the case a carb cleaner wont help you much. they wont unplug a plugged up jet
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Yeah usual price around me is $80-$100/carb
            Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

do it yourself... carbs 102 ... found in the wiki... only takes a couple hours

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! I broke down the carbs and my pilot jets were clogged as adviced.. Anyways, where can I get a set of 4 new diaphragm slider boots.. Mines won't seat properly around the groves for some reason. I can't find them anywhere on the internet. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by xCOMBATx View Post
                  Thanks for the help guys! I broke down the carbs and my pilot jets were clogged as adviced.. Anyways, where can I get a set of 4 new diaphragm slider boots.. Mines won't seat properly around the groves for some reason. I can't find them anywhere on the internet. Thanks!
                  As long as they aren't torn, I'd keep using them. Try wiping a little grease on the lip of the diaphragm to keep it down in the groove while you get the cap on.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

good advise

Comment

If they won't seat (seems almost like they are too small), using both fore fingers and thumbs on both hands, stretch out 1/4" portions of the outer part of the rubber, work your around. Now apply it to the carb top before it stretches back.
                      I tried using grease, didn't work, but this way did. BTW, rubber diaphragms are rather $$$.

Comment

I got all the rubber diaphragms installed! I rebuilt the carb and re-installed it on the Kat... The Kat is running like a Cadillac!!! It finally idles without using the "fuel enrichment level."! Thanks guys! The rebuilt wasn't that bad. I just let it soaked overnight with B12 and lemon juice concentrate. Yippie!

Comment

Working...
                        X