X

Heavier riders vs. lighter riders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavier riders vs. lighter riders

What's the theory behind heavier riders vs. smaller weighing riders when it concerns the Katana? Are there any pros and cons? (handling, speed, stability, etc) Does being a "BigGuy" help?
    sigpic

i think being a bigger guy will help. because the bike is heavy as fhk when ur not moving. damn.

Comment

Heard the saying "the bigger they are the harder they fall"

Personally I don't think it matters. Just a matter of time till you get used to the weight of the bike. Now the weight of the passenger...hell that makes a WORLD of a difference. I mean... imagine being seen with a fat slob instead of a hot chick
      Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Passenger weight is a big thing. But I think that it helps if you are a big guy. You can't tell me that a 95lb boy can run it as well as a well fit 200lb athelete.

Just my thought,
        Ryan

Comment

Sure he can if he knows what he's doing . It ain't about size when it comes to bike control , it's about skillz , yo . As far as speed , I BELIEVE I read somewhere that every 7 pounds lost is like gaining 1hp , so a 150lb guy versus a 200 pounder is gonna have near a 7hp advantage going by that theory . But being SHORT will make things tougher at stops and such . But once you're in motion , size don't matter .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

There are pro's and con's to everything.
            The bigger you are, the more likely it is that your suspension will need a special setting to work when the bike is new, and the faster your stock suspension components will fail from use.

On the other hand, the heavier you are, the more pressure there is on the contact patch of your tires, and the less distance off the center of the bike you need to move to get the same cg-shift effect, giving you some advantage in handling.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ive seen "big" guys get on a bike and rail it like it they are motogp professionals...same can be said for your "smaller" riders too..and every size in between. If you've got the skills, you can make that bike sing no matter what size you are.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                Ive seen "big" guys get on a bike and rail it like it they are motogp professionals...same can be said for your "smaller" riders too..and every size in between. If you've got the skills, you can make that bike sing no matter what size you are.

:

Comment

i'm an 'average' size guy at 5'9.5" and 145lbs and i have no problem getting the Kat to do what i want it to... with or without my 5'4" 115lb fiance on the back.

the only time i have to work hard is when i'm trying to back out of a parking spot w/ a passenger on the back using my feet. solution... "wait until i get backed out before you hop on honey"
                  I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                  http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

At 6 feet tall, I've been a smaller 180 lb guy and I am currently a hefty 250 lb guy. For me, my weight simply allows me to toss the bike differently. When I was smaller I had to shift my body and use muscle more for handling, and now no where near as much to toss the bike around. Setup does have to be accounted for with more weight though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja750
                      At 6 feet tall, I've been a smaller 180 lb guy and I am currently a hefty 250 lb guy. For me, my weight simply allows me to toss the bike differently. When I was smaller I had to shift my body and use muscle more for handling, and now no where near as much to toss the bike around. Setup does have to be accounted for with more weight though.
                      I'm in the hefty range
                      What do you mean by setup? Suspension or...?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        Sure he can if he knows what he's doing .
                        you tell 'im Matty !
                        - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Yes, I am referring to suspension when I say setup.

Comment

Working...
                          X