X

Reviews/opinions on Yamaha FZ6?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviews/opinions on Yamaha FZ6?

I am thinking about moving up to a FZ6, anyone have actual experience riding one?

Are they noticably lighter?

Are they noticably more powerful?

Do they handle significantly better?

How does it do on longer trips and 2up?

All I have read on them says yes but I wanted to get as much info as possible from people that have actually ridden one and a kat as well. I currently have a 1996 Kat 600 with a few mods.

www.WVstreets.com

kidblooper has an FZ1, I think Batgirl just sold her FZ6. Walk into the dealer with cash and tell them you want to try it out before you buy.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Should be as comfortable as a Kat, maybe a little more comfortable. Don't know if it would be any faster or not. Since the engine is tuned for low rpm torque and runs best between 3k-7k rpm, the modded Kat 600 might be able to edge it out as far as engine performance/top speed goes. It's only about 20-25lbs lighter than a pre 600 Kat. If I were going to buy one I would save a little money and buy the less expensive, better looking FZ6R instead of the FZ6, since it's only 8 lbs heavier.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

I've put some miles on a friend's FZ6....

Fuel injected. The stock tune isn't great. There are definite spots in the RPM range that don't feel 'right' or smooth. Sometimes feels like the throttle is just an on / off switch. I'm sure there are fixes.

Seating is pretty upright. Feels more upright than my Kat..

Power wise, it Feels faster up top than the Kat.

Feels lighter, and handles pretty nicely. Suspension was soft for me, but I am fairly good size at 6'3" 230lbs.

Not a bad bike, but doesn't float my boat.

Comment

They make 98hp which is quite a bit more than my 600cc kat, i would think it would be notably faster.

as for the fz6r, it is only 70something hp so it is not an upgrade in power.

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

My wife has one and she loves it. I actually rode it just today. It is a great bike. I dont know the actual weight difference between the Kat and FZ6 but it feels lighter to me. It also feels alot quicker that the Kat 750 that I had. The riding position is very comfortable, I'm 5'10" 200#.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

I owned a 2006 FZ6 and I can attest to all the hiccups with the throttle and how bad the stock tune sucks. I would get a 2007 or later because they refined the tune and it comes with R6 brakes.

The brakes on the 2005-2006 are garbage and I was coming from a 04 kat 750 when I traded it in. The bike feels well balanced and comfortable besides the stock seat turning into a bench after a couple hours. With a good seat and a refined tune for the throttle it would be a real nice bike. I am sure the brakes can be fixed with some EBC HH pads. I ride a Honda VFR750 now and love it. But the FZ6 is a very capable bike but just stay away from 2006 and below if you want something more refined. The Fuel injection is said to be alot better. I had a red one and loved the way it looked too just couldn't get into the bike at all. I traded it in for an R6 and got all of my money back for it too. If they didn't change the R6 engine and kept it the way it was stock in the FZ6 frame it would be a ton better.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemontrym View Post
                If they didn't change the R6 engine and kept it the way it was stock in the FZ6 frame it would be a ton better.
                Yes, but it would totally defeat the purpose of the FZ. Midrange torque trumps high horsepower rpms in a commuter/hooligan/not SS bike.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

looked at them this week ...the looks are there ... the price is great ... the detuned motor is not what im looking for . the yellow one is nice .. will wait the vfr is comming out and has a 5 cyl. like the rc bike

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Yes, but it would totally defeat the purpose of the FZ. Midrange torque trumps high horsepower rpms in a commuter/hooligan/not SS bike.
                    can't agree more!
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Yeah from what I can tell they basically used the same basic formula when choosing a torque range for the new Fazers, that they used way back in '86 when they designed my 700 Fazer. Mine uses basically a destroked FZR750 engine to get 699cc's, cam timing is the same on both bikes, but the 700 has less lift on the intake cam. I can actually bog it down to 1k in 6th gear, and then roll onto the throttle and still pull away fairly smoothly. Riding 2up shifting around 3-4k it pulls like a freight train, the only time I shift higher with the wife on the back is if I need to make a really quick pass.
                      Last edited by Psycho1; 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM.
                      John,
                      sigpic

Comment

I sat on the new FZ6R at WSBK yesterday, it was more comfertable then my kat. the seat had great support and you sit more upright, if i had the money, would have bought one for the wife right there.

I would give it 2 thumbs up for comfert. As for performance, i keep reading they are very good bikes.
                        2006 Katana 750, Bumble Bee replica
                        Bumblee Bee Tuna

Comment

I took my wife's FZ6 out on Saturday with my 10 year old daughter and we 2-up'd it for 250 miles. Very comfortable and my daughter liked it alot better than riding that pancake of a seat on my SV. My back felt like it was on vacation compared to either my SV or my Daytona.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

A day on one

My bike was in for a service and they gave me one to ride for the day. I found it to be quite comfortable and went well, was a second hand one from the shop. Had the pipe done and sounded sweet. Not real sure on the nakedness of it and the liitle fairing that my bike has is definately appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by seriss_cweald View Post
                              I sat on the new FZ6R at WSBK yesterday, it was more comfertable then my kat. the seat had great support and you sit more upright, if i had the money, would have bought one for the wife right there.

I would give it 2 thumbs up for comfert. As for performance, i keep reading they are very good bikes.
                              The only thing holding me back from buying the FZ6R for my wife is they used a much different tuning for it than they do on the regular FZ6. It's about 20-25 less hp from what I've been reading in reviews. Wife likes the looks of the white FZ6R, but likes the thought of lighter weight and more power of the R6S.
                              John,
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X