No announcement yet.
X

Suzuki DR 650: Any thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, now I am getting excited. I am going to look at one soon.
    I was watching vids on youtube of folks riding theirs in the snow. More fun!
    The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

I actually like the new suzuki B-KING its diffrernt

Comment

That's what I'm talking about. That's some tasty looking terrain there.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
          This could be you.

Ah, I see you have been on Adventure rider!
          Thanks for the tease.
          Looks like the 2008 are pretty much sold out everywhere, of course. Will have to go with a 2009. They are not out it seems for another month. Can't freakin wait.
          The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

Comment

Originally posted by newride View Post
            Ah, I see you have been on Adventure rider!
            Thanks for the tease.

I'm always over there.

The DR on the left has the Aqualine/Safari gas tank. The DR on the right has the stocker. The stock tank is a weenie 3.4 gallons and the Super Tanker is 7.9 gallons.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Jeez Squiggy,
              Seems like you really want a DR too!
              I was debating to trade my little ninja in for a DR. I just paid it off though and still like it alot. I am about to pay off my car as well. I may just have to buy DR anyway, keep the ninja, take the BMW off the road. The BMW runs great, but needs lots of work. It is becoming kind of a safety hazard. Crappy rear shocks, front suspension needs work. Front pads need to be changed and lines bleeded. Rear brake pads are toast, tach and speedo are toast, etc.
              But she looks good though.
              oops sorry we were taling about DR's right? Hijacked my own thread.
              Attached Files

Comment

Although a '09 DR would be nice, an older one can be just fine too. Like the Kat, there really hasn't been a whole host of changes over the years. From '03 onward, they got a copper base gasket (sturdier) as the fiber ones were known to fail early on occasion. Other than cosmetics, the thing has soldiered on as is. It's sorta like a sledgehammer: there's not much to really change to make it better than it is. I think it'd just end up getting more complicated mechanically, and that just sort of spoils the whole idea of the DR.
                Here's my '93 350. I have to kick it to get it started (something kinda quaint about that), but I wouldn't trade that ugly old thing for nuthin' unless it was maybe a DR 650.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet_Hair View Post
                  Although a '09 DR would be nice, an older one can be just fine too. Like the Kat, there really hasn't been a whole host of changes over the years.
                  Good idea,
                  I would save quite a bit getting one that is only a couple years old. Then I could afford 3 bikes. Hmmm

Comment

You certainly could. Good ones are still out there for under $3K.

Comment

If you're looking for used, don't close your eyes to a well maintained KLR 650. By now you've probably researched and compared the KLR / DR to death, so I need not extol the virtues of either bike.

I own a '04 KLR, and it's been bullet proof. I would have bought a DR, but got a great buy on the KLR.

They're both excellent bikes. Each is aimed at a slightly different segment of the dual purpose market. And both can be easlily modified to suit your individual needs.

If you find a good deal on either one, you can't go wrong.

Just be willing to modify either bike to suit your needs. Hell, that's half the fun of owning a DP bike!

KLR

Comment

Oh, you have one!
                        Sorry.
                        I have looked at the KLR as well for a while, but I like simple. Air cooled on the DR is what I want. Not really a fan of water cooled.(KLR) Just another thing to go wrong. The KLR seems too big for me. I meet a guy on Adventure rider who lives not so far away who is going to let me check out his DR to see what I think. Pretty nice! I also met a dealer who can get me a DR 2009 in 2 weeks. Another adv rider I met just got an 09 from the dealer.
                        I am going to go broke over motorcycles. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by newride View Post
                          Oh, you have one!
                          Sorry.
                          No, not yet.

I was over at ADV Rider again and saw this, so I linked it up. It's just something for you to lust after, like me.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

No, not yet.

I was over at ADV Rider again and saw this, so I linked it up. It's just something for you to lust after, like me.
                            Looked at a brand new one yesterday right in the crate! White, very nice! almost bought it, then my car spoke up and said, "i need work here."
                            I still may bite the bullet and get one.............I have a bike problem..............and I like it!

Comment

Working...
                            X