X

Bitten Off More Than I can Chew? New member

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitten Off More Than I can Chew? New member

Hi,I'm Simon i'm in the Uk.I'm collecting this Bike from Birmingham.As you can see its in a state.It had been Stolen,dumped in a Canal,and Pulled out by the person I'm getting it from[its family, My Brother Steve's Widow,Her New Partner....Gulp].Anyhow its all Kosher and legal The Police Know about it,it just needs the Title, V5 in Uk.
    Anyhow I know its a Katana,but which one it is I havent a Clue,so you Guys will know.As i havent seen it i dont know if its restorable ,or to Break it.As it has been in His Garage for 15 years and survived, I'm loathe to Kill it.The Owner came to see it after it came out of the Canal,as you could imagine He was gutted as he had just had it Resprayed and had Refurbed it as well.It's got Beavis and Bitthead on it somewhere, so I guess that Dates it.

I'm Running a 1992 Yamaha XJ900 so Iknow what an old Bike will throw at you,If I do the Katana its No.2 in the queue, as I'm Building another XJ from Parts.
    So Guys what Model is It? ,and Too Restore it or Part It Out?
    Last edited by Simonref; 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks Its Head out of a car Window

In the US at least I'd say this is your bike.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/style/v...0ees-1983.htm/

Thieves are such asshats....

Comment

wow... talk about a project.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Seems like a very long project. Unless you REALLY want the bike and I mean REALLY REALLY want it I would say its not worth it, but hey thats your decision to make. Also it looks to me like an early 80 model probably a 750. I know the 1100 have a different front cowl and I think the 600 front is different also but not facts

Comment

woff.....youre basically going to need a whole bike worth of parts. To me this looks like a donor bike if anything. Not saying that it wont be a cool project but its going to cost a lot of money to refurbish. and its not exactly a rare classic
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Well I'm getting it for Free except the cost of hiring a Van to pick It up.The Engine will need Tearing Down as the Valves on one of the cylinders will have been open to the Water and Atmosphere for 15 Years,and will probably be rusted.Carbs as well, Hopefully the Electrics and Wiring Harness should be OK as the Canal was Fresh Water.The Engine is an Open ChequeBook,the Rest is mostly Time and Tracking down Parts.

Comment

It's kind of ironic that something with the name "Full Floater" was sunk in a canal. LOL

Looks like a ton of work.

Comment

[QUOTE=muffinman;2292740]It's kind of ironic that something with the name "Full Floater" was sunk in a canal. LOL

Well, They reckon Kat's dont like water.Never Mind There always a Bit of Yamaha Therapy in the Garage.

Comment

1983 GS750ES
                  Last edited by Simonref; 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

One thing I've discovered with an old bike that's been kept wet is that anything aluminum gets really brittle. Just something to watch out for. If things start to break off then it'd be better to walk away from the bike before you put too much into it.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Lol full floater some one put that to the test
                      YES I did just kick your car door in for almost killing me.i bet next time you get into your car you will rember to look out for bikes

Comment

Welllll...... nothing's impossible......... but you're sort of pushing the envelope.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

My reading comprehension needs a little work I think. Was the bike in the canal for 15 years or in the shed for 15 years ? It may not be as horrid a project as you think.
                          1990 GSXF 1100
                          2011 KLR 650

Comment

Originally posted by KatKrak View Post
                            My reading comprehension needs a little work I think. Was the bike in the canal for 15 years or in the shed for 15 years ? It may not be as horrid a project as you think.
                            I read it as pulled out of a canal and stored in a garage for 15 years with nothing done to it.

Comment

Originally posted by muffinman View Post
                              I read it as pulled out of a canal and stored in a garage for 15 years with nothing done to it.
                              This. It's still going to be a frame off, through engine project.
                              First motorcycle - new project
                              1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X