No announcement yet.
X

1988 Honda VTR250

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bill I will give this a shot this weekend. Going to try and get her running. Carbs are almost done and took apart the petcock cleaned throuroughly reassembled.

Oil change is done. New spark plugs, new battery, should be ready for lift off!

Comment

It's always the petcock! Waiting on my bebuild kit at the current one leaks gas everywhere. I think the diaphragm is shot. Did manage to get all the lights working. I really need to get a temporary gas tank to make this easier in the future. Taking the tank on and off just to play around is a pain.

I wonder if there's an easy way to make my own and still use the vacuum operated petcock.

Comment

Brian,

Most of the temp aftermarket tanks are just plastic bottles that hang upside down with an inline on-off ball valve and some tubing. You can rig up one pretty easy. Your local motorcycle shop might even sell them.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
          Brian,

Most of the temp aftermarket tanks are just plastic bottles that hang upside down with an inline on-off ball valve and some tubing. You can rig up one pretty easy. Your local motorcycle shop might even sell them.
          Trackerrrr,

Thanks for the input. I will have to take a swing by one later this week. I may even see if tractor supply co. has anything as they usually have some odd parts and items.

Comment

Originally posted by briandrex View Post
            It's always the petcock! Waiting on my bebuild kit at the current one leaks gas everywhere. I think the diaphragm is shot. Did manage to get all the lights working. I really need to get a temporary gas tank to make this easier in the future. Taking the tank on and off just to play around is a pain.

I wonder if there's an easy way to make my own and still use the vacuum operated petcock.
            Auto parts store..(or junkyard)

-coolant overflow jug
            - Simple valve to shut flow off / on
            - some fuel hose
            - Something to hang the tank from

That's it..

Comment

With this temporary setup do I just cap off the vacuum on the rear cylinder and allow the fuel flow to be operated strictly by the valve?

I already have a spare overflow coolant container or two.

Comment

Personally I would...

I mean it's the same as putting a petcock on PRIME....it's constant fuel flow to the carbs. As long as the carb's aren't leaking, you'll be fine.

If you are just running it to 'tune' it, you might be surprised how long it will run with just the gas the float bowls can hold...

the 750 engine in my Kat will run long enough on just the fuel left in the bowls, to sync the carbs and set idle

Comment

I'm hoping my rebuild kit is there when I get home today so I can get her running. If not I may just get her going by just putting some fuel in the carbs and see what happens. I really need to build a test tank though. Too many things to do and not enough time!!!

Comment

It's alive. It runs pretty well. I think I have to tune the carb some as when I let off the throttle with the choke off it stall on me. Could be the idle screws or air fuel mixture screws as well. Going to have to do some tweaking but it sounds great!

Comment

They are neat little bikes. I had one for a while for fun. My wife never really got into it...barely got her to sit on it. I sold it to another guys wife, and now she loves it!

Comment

I picked up a 88 for my wife about 2 months ago. she has rode it 3 times for prolly about 4 miles in the parking lot of our local school. Learning how to drive, turning, starting stopping and all the good stuff. She loves it.

Comment

I have seen this done before to get em started.

Comment

Working...
                          X