No announcement yet.
X

90 GSX750F no spark

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't sweat it till you get it running. Then try it. Unless you want to drop the oil pan and inspect the shift forks and drum.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

ive ran into this problem before on my kat drag bike. usually when the tach bounces around on start it from low voltage. I ran my fuel pump without a relay and it drew too much power if I left it on during starting...another issue that can cause that is a bad ground.

Comment

Awesome! Well I located a CDI for cheap and just waiting on her to arrive! once she does Ill know for sure on the rest of the bikes condition.

Zero

Comment

Well the bike runs and sounds great.. but my fears have been confirmed on the trans. It's in very poor condition. Still won't shift past first and while idling if you move the bike it clunks and cranks like the gears are hitting...

Comment

You just said the engine ran great and the engine is fucked in the exact same exchange, very eloquently. Are you a service manage?

Comment

Yes the engine runs beautifully... but it wont shift past first.. roughly 400 give or take to do a trans in one.. so engine is scrap for that kind of money.. I can source out a solid gsx1100 for a little more than that..

Comment

$400 according to whom? That's a minimum 20 hour book job plus parts. If someone quoted you $400 to do a transmission job that involves splitting the cases, don't let them touch shit on your motorcycle.

Comment

I'm talking about myself doing it actually. Now I've delt with you in two different threads and you're just a very negative individual.. I'm not sure how else to say it but you're input isn't really needed here..

Comment

I'm telling it like it is. I'm not trying to talk down to you, but your posts don't inspire confidence in your ability to complete the job. You're correct, you don't need my input. Good luck.

Comment

Dude, he's a Suzuki mechanic, he knows his shit. I see nothing negative said. If you can find an 1100 motor for $400 I'll take a couple of those. FYI 1100 motor swap will be about $2000 once completed. $400 for a new tans and you do it, is cheaper than a used 750 motor. $600 for a 750 motor would be fair and easier, faster repair.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

2k for an 1100 is pretty spot on. Engine alone will be ~1000, then you need carbs and an exhaust. Then you'll need gaskets for the exhaust, new orings for the carb/intake junction, and likely have to clean and rebuild the carbs. And possibly need valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, random things you never thought about etc. And then there's shipping on top of all that. I just spent 1800 on all that last month and thought I found a really good deal to start with.

If you can rebuild the transmission yourself, awesome. While you're in there, might want to either install a shift kit or get the transmission undercut. But an engine swap will probably be cheaper and easier in the long run since you don't even know what's wrong with the tranny yet.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Well Ive located a gentleman with a no title 1100 thats been wrecked. Im sure I could get it for a little over 800 bones.. But I dropped the motor and split the case and figured out what the problem is. Looks like what i believe to be second gear, Closest to drive sprocket. I apologize arsenic.. It was a bad day and I was in a crap tastic mood.. Ive turned a wrench for almost 12 years and had no issue dropping and swapping haha. Ill upload pictures of it tonight.

Zero

Comment

Shift fork is also likely toast then. Known weak point on these engines. Going to repair it, or just go with the 1100?
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

My .02, repair it, sell it, and use the money to put toward the 1100
                              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

A good used trans is running on ebay for $100. A good case sealant, I hear hylomar is the best. And some time to put it back together and clean and she will be running again.. Probably off it and look into the 1100. I havent seen or heard that one run yet so im unsure of how bad it actually is..

Last edited by ZeroRain; 02-09-2016, 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X