No announcement yet.
X

Cheap to make Sync tool for carbs...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one question about all this... what, other than the butterfly valves, affects the flow in each carb? i mean, if the floats are off, is synching the carbs a way to make up for this? or if the air/fuel screws were off, again would synching the carbs like this make up for it? guess i'm just trying to understand the theory of how the whole system works inside there. i just took them apart the other day and cleaned them in that carb cleaner dip. worked pretty well... i still had to use a spray can to clean out the pilot jets tho. but again... if one was dirtier than the rest, would synching the carbs balance this out? (like if one was clogged, the butterfly would be a bit more closed on that carb to equalize the ratio?) and one last thing... i believe someone else on here asked about the different rpm readings... anyone have an answer to that? or... (apparently i like using periods in my posts) once they're balanced at around 1800, should you be able to open up the throttle and have the fluid still balanced? thats the end of my one question. thanks.
    Last edited by pournstarr; 05-28-2010, 07:32 AM.
    1990 GSX 750F Kat

gravity got ya down??

Comment

The butterflies are not the floats. They are different.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by pournstarr View Post
        one question about all this... what, other than the butterfly valves, affects the flow in each carb? i mean, if the floats are off, is synching the carbs a way to make up for this? or if the air/fuel screws were off, again would synching the carbs like this make up for it? guess i'm just trying to understand the theory of how the whole system works inside there. i just took them apart the other day and cleaned them in that carb cleaner dip. worked pretty well... i still had to use a spray can to clean out the pilot jets tho. but again... if one was dirtier than the rest, would synching the carbs balance this out? (like if one was clogged, the butterfly would be a bit more closed on that carb to equalize the ratio?) and one last thing... i believe someone else on here asked about the different rpm readings... anyone have an answer to that? or... (apparently i like using periods in my posts) once they're balanced at around 1800, should you be able to open up the throttle and have the fluid still balanced? thats the end of my one question. thanks.
        Minor variances can be tuned with a sync, but it won't fix major issues or way off settings.

The primary point of a sync is to equalize the vacuum between all 4 carbs by adjusting the amount of air allowed to flow into them by the butterflies. Vacuum is created bythe motor turning over (valves opening, pistons pumping, gasses pushed out the exhaust).

The only way for carb settings like the float heights to really have an effect on the sync... is if they are so far out of adjustment between others that the cylinder won't run/burn right. This is why before doing a sync, you need to make sure all 4 are working.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Can this be done with a single vacume Gage? Check one then check 2 adjust, repeat?
          Tejasandre

Comment

Good write up from the Ninja 250 How To site

See the Two Bottle Method Section:

Comment

Originally posted by tejasandre View Post
              Can this be done with a single vacume Gage? Check one then check 2 adjust, repeat?
              It can, but it would really take a long time. Actually if you are going to use a gauge I would strongly suggest using only one and doing them one at a time.

However for a few dollars follow misfit's link...

Originally posted by dsmisfits View Post
              That is nice, it covers all the DIY methods..

Comment

i must say i used krey's idea and it worked like a charm!
                Originally posted by Slofuze:
                Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

I am a newb and I had heard about carb syncing and even seen a few videos on how to do it with homemade tools. It never really clicked until I read through this thread. Great stuff in here.

Comment

Bumping....I know its old but it has a lot of good info for homemade syncing. I am surprised its not a sticky.
                    89 Katana 750
                    06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

We don't need to make it a sticky. There is this button you can hit to search for stuff like this.

Comment

yeah you sticky everything and it defeats the purpose..

Comment

I got sticky but it aint glue......
                          I'm outa here

Comment

Working...
                          X