X

Metal fairings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal fairings

Anyone here ever make fairings of half fairings for their Kat out of sheet metal? If so, what gauge metal and where did you get it? My fairings are old and cracked and I dig metal on bikes versus plastic.

I personally wouldn't want metal fairing, sharp fragments during a crash. All though you can cut your old ones up, some have when doing a semi street fighter.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

True

That is true, I can cut the old ones up, but I could also roll the edges. I am into old café racers and would love just clear-coated polished metal.

Comment

Nothing like the heat transfer from a hot engine onto metal fairings. Amongst other issues this is just pretty dumb...

Paints have come a long way in that you can either paint to replicate chrome or do some of the chemical dips.
        I am a Penn State fanatic.
        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

ABS plastic is significantly easier and cheaper to acquire, work with, and doesn't require expensive specialized tools.

I've not seen much of any information online of someone attempting major metal fairings that didn't turn out "amateurish" to put it nicely... and that's being very nice. While I'll not say not to do it, I would suggest that there is good reasons it's extremely uncommon.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I just created a steel headlight cover for my street fighter build. Made mine out of 22 gauge steel. My only concern is in a crash you dont slice the hell outa urself. But steel is nice bc you can weld it and you can do more custom stuff than with ABS. Im sure no one here knows how to aquire huge sheets of ABS or plastic and make custom fairings. But steel is easier to aquire and its used all the times in customs. if your not doing alot of bends then thicker steel would be better for longer spans, 20 -18 gauge. but its harder to form and cut and heavier, 22 gauge is lighter but easier to cut and form. Could always roll some beads to add strength with thinner steel vs going heavy with thicker steel. Steel forming tools are pretty cheap too.

if you get fancy and can weld you can always do aluminum to help with weight.
            1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
            fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
            55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
            R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
            Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Holy sheeeet. There is a reason besides the wieght issue that fairings are made of abs. Nuff said.
              2002 750 Kat
              2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
              1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
              2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Hey man if u really wanna put that kinda work into it I say go for it make it your own creation.

Comment

Would be great for zombie apocalypse. Road Warrior style.
                  Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
                  Ride: 2002 750F Kat
                  "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

would it be practical? No.

would it be unique and interesting? Absolutely. Id do it under the right circumstances
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

It would be the delorean of bikes if you used stainless... underpowered + WAY over weight... that will send you back to the future.
                      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                      Tony
                      94 Katana 600

Comment

Sheet aluminum would be better than steel. It can be formed quite well and could end up being lighter than plastic. I've done fairing lower sections in aluminum and it looked pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                          would it be practical? No.

would it be unique and interesting? Absolutely. Id do it under the right circumstances
                          and what circumstances would that be? I took 5 minutes to wrack my brain into trying to come up with one good reason why I would go through all the effort to fabricate a set of metal body panels, and the only one I could come up with is if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to do it.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I think if you were goin for a "stealth fighter" look with lots of angles it could be neat.
                            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I am sure it could look "neet". problem is, if I had it in my head to put all the effort into shaping metal, it would have to look a lot better than "neet". It would have to be fickin' awesome. chances of that are slim to nil.

but then again, it's just the idea of using metal that "disturbs" me. not only does it add significantly more weight to the bike, it can be down right dangerous if one comes off in a dump and takes you across the throat. it's probably going to be a lot more destructive to the rest of the bike it comes into contact with.

as much as I hate seeing one of my fairing crack and break to pieces, part of me can appreciate that it does.

with that said, why not build out of carbon fiber or fiberglass? not only will it be easier to shape and mold, but it is also a lot easier to duplicate if it does turn out cool and you want to make more.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X