2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        Sorry Seth, if your bike was pinging on 87 then it was running bad.

There is no reason for a higher octane than 87 to be necessary in a Katana unless you have raised the CR or done some good engine work.
        My dad has an 89 ramcharger where the manual says 87 is ok. it does the same thing my bike does. there is a loss in power and minor pinging. the motor is all stock , as is everything. might be due to the altitude difference? who knows, all i know is that premium runs better in my bike.
        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
        Current Bikes:
        1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Right now but soon to change i have a yoshi 4-1 on and no jet kit and it makes my bike feel more responsive on 93 than 87...Thats the only reason i run it...And of course because everyone knows your bike looks faster at the pump if your wasting money on gas...Haha...But a few more cents on a bike that gets good gas mileage already isnt going to kill me so whay not.
          Speeding Wont Kill You,Whatever Stops You Will

My Build
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114501

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
            My dad has an 89 ramcharger where the manual says 87 is ok. it does the same thing my bike does. there is a loss in power and minor pinging. the motor is all stock , as is everything. might be due to the altitude difference? who knows, all i know is that premium runs better in my bike.
            As motors age, octane need can increase due to a build up of carbon in the cylinders.If this were the case for a suzuki motor, I think it would have to have at least 100K miles to apply to it.

Comment

I have a 93 600 and it says to run 91 octane minimum. I ran 87 once and it developed a knock at idle and a noticeable difference i throttle response. Filled up with 91 on the next fill up and the knock went away and the throttle response was back. I always run at least 91 in my bikes. Always have.
              Last edited by jcos; 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The manual does say 87 is ok. I run 91 minimum. O well. Doesnt hurt to run a little higher octane
                Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                Current Bikes:

Comment

116!!!!!

Seriously though I run premium , I'm a mechanic and I've built and tore down many motors and running a crap gas vs running premium has its advantages...if u get crappy gas you'll carb up the valves more then if u used a higher quality gas...performance wise I feel minimum to low difference on the katana but I run premium because its better in the long run
                  Last edited by 306roller; 02-06-2011, 07:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

to give an example, i run pump 91 gas in my 2010 focus (turbocharged) , katana (2006 exahust, ignition advacner) and myt zx14. i use premium for everything. i would pay the extra $$$ for premium whether i need it or not. it doesnt really matter to me i just rather pay the little extra $$$ for excellent gas
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

Good god, somebody shoot this thread, I'm sick of seeing all the idiot responses.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        Good god, somebody shoot this thread, I'm sick of seeing all the idiot responses.

I'm with you. post Kat, made to run on 87 octane. i run 89 cuz of 2 things: I got a tiny bit of pinging with the advancer and ethanol fuel.

as Mark used to say, using a good detergent gas is better than using higher octane, the detergents help keep the carbs and engine clean.

See My Garage for mods...
                        T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                        Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

87 is fine. for STORAGE i like higher octane. 89 if you have an advancer and such

MAJOR engine mods and increased compression require higher octane!

overall. QUality gas is better than higher octane!

....side note....no ethanol gas is WAYY better!
                          03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
                          04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
                          08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
                          10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
                          05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

The only gas station that has 100% pure gasoline is the Shell down the road from me. Its the only one in over a 50 miles radius from my house! I lucked out. lol
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

I just pumped regular non ethanol gas in my bike and plan on continue using it. From what I've read and seen ethanol is not that good especial in anything that may site for a while.
                              2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

I run 91 on my 92 1100. I seem to get better throttle response out of the hole. It also seems to start better. I don't mean I never run regular I do. But for the most part 91 and the bike seems happier. Straight stock 92 1100.
                                Whatever the reasons it just runs a little better????

Comment

Working...
                                X