• Show
Clear All

just posting so I can find this thread easily later =-P
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
    RIP Marc

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
      just a quick question...

will the carb sync be affected by the different OD vacuum ports??

nope:

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Comment

Thanks for the science lesson BP ... I think I missed that class.
        Last edited by BareKat; 05-21-2010, 05:10 PM.
        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

hi barekat, after reading quite a few post on carb syncing i came across yours, and it seemed the most complete, im new to katriders and new to my 1990 kat 600 as well, it has 76000+ on it, runs fairly well for its age and the miles it has on it. I just baught this bike a week ago and after reading all the posts decided it was a good idea to adjust my valves and then sync my carbs, im having a suzuki mechanic adjust my valves, and then i decided i would sync my carbs myself, i was curious if you could send me a few more detailed photos of your diy manometer and any information you might have on doing it as well, i have never synced carbs and seems there are just a few things im missing after reading all the posts, like where the adjustment screws are? and are there more than one screw per carb? do i adjust any of the jet or pilot screws anything will sure to be helpful, thanks for your time and your post. apparently i cant pm u since iim soo new to the site so this was my pm to you thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by 1NastyKat View Post
            hi barekat, after reading quite a few post on carb syncing i came across yours, and it seemed the most complete, im new to katriders and new to my 1990 kat 600 as well, it has 76000+ on it, runs fairly well for its age and the miles it has on it. I just baught this bike a week ago and after reading all the posts decided it was a good idea to adjust my valves and then sync my carbs, im having a suzuki mechanic adjust my valves, and then i decided i would sync my carbs myself, i was curious if you could send me a few more detailed photos of your diy manometer and any information you might have on doing it as well, i have never synced carbs and seems there are just a few things im missing after reading all the posts, like where the adjustment screws are? and are there more than one screw per carb? do i adjust any of the jet or pilot screws anything will sure to be helpful, thanks for your time and your post. apparently i cant pm u since iim soo new to the site so this was my pm to you thanx.
            There are three screws, one in between each set of carbs. Basically in a sync all you're doing by turning a screw is adjusting the difference in air flow between the carbs.

The screws are easy to see, if you look between your carbs toward the front of the bike and open the throttle, you will see the screws move. The procedure is to first adjust the leftmost screw, to make sure carbs 1 and 2 are pulling the same vacuum, then the rightmost screw, to make sure carbs 3 and 4 are pulling the same vacuum, and then the middle screw is used to balance the left and right side, it will not affect the balance between 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

It isn't too difficult, just may require a bit of patience.

Comment

Hey Nasty... mykat is right there are three screws between the four carbs.

- first you adjust the screw between carb 3-4 to balance 'em
              - second you adjust the screw between carb 1-2 (left side sitting on the bike)
              - third you adjust the screw between 2-3

I had to start back at step one through three to make some fine adjustments.

see attached pic (I had to remove the carbs from the engine to get to the vacuum ports to attach the vacuum lines.

The wood board is 4' long and each tube is 1/4" ID and 7' long.
              Attached Files
              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

am i missing something here? i am new to the kats, but i always hooked up to the ports on top of the carbs, where the black covers are over the diaphram on the carbs for every other bike. it seems this thread is saying to hook up to the ports on the side, like where the fuel petcock vac hose goes to. and yet it makes no sense why they would be different hose sizes. I built alot of carbs, and never seen a difference between the four, they can be moved from one spot to another on every bike i worked on.
                I want to be clear, because i need to do it to mine, but now i wonder which port to use.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselguy65 View Post
                  am i missing something here? i am new to the kats, but i always hooked up to the ports on top of the carbs, where the black covers are over the diaphram on the carbs for every other bike. it seems this thread is saying to hook up to the ports on the side, like where the fuel petcock vac hose goes to. and yet it makes no sense why they would be different hose sizes. I built alot of carbs, and never seen a difference between the four, they can be moved from one spot to another on every bike i worked on.
                  I want to be clear, because i need to do it to mine, but now i wonder which port to use.
                  on the pres the vac ports are on the top with the rubber caps so no you didnt miss anything. and do you have a Manuel.

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                  Hey Nasty... mykat is right there are three screws between the four carbs.

- first you adjust the screw between carb 3-4 to balance 'em
                  - second you adjust the screw between carb 1-2 (left side sitting on the bike)
                  - third you adjust the screw between 2-3
                  the carbs aren't usually tuned that way. my Manuel says that you synch 1-2 then 3-4 or vis versa then you can do 2-4 or 1-3 or 2-3 or 1-4
                  Last edited by 1990gsx 600; 05-24-2010, 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  time to nut up or shut up
                  Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
                  The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

yeah, i have a factory manual, and a haynes POS one. thats another reason i asked, i looked and they both show using the top caps.

Comment

there's a screw between 1 & 2, another between 3 & 4. Then you do the one between 2 & 3 to level out the left side and the right side.

It should only require slight adjustments, don't turn the screws too much or you'll throw them way off and make it a lot harder. 1/8-1/4 turn at a time.

Comment

thanx for the speedy responses mykat and barekat, puts me at ease having some knowledgeable guys to talk too, definatly found the right site for my katana
                        Last edited by 1NastyKat; 05-25-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990gsx 600 View Post
                          the carbs aren't usually tuned that way. my Manuel says that you synch 1-2 then 3-4 or vis versa then you can do 2-4 or 1-3 or 2-3 or 1-4
                          Who is Manuel? Is he your mechanic?

Comment

sorry about that misspelling. the manual i have says that you do 1-2 then 3-4 and then 2-3 but the last adjustment doesn't really matter as long as you synch one of the sides with the other
                            The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990gsx 600 View Post
                              sorry about that misspelling.
                              Just busting your chops...

the manual i have says that you do 1-2 then 3-4 and then 2-3 but the last adjustment doesn't really matter as long as you synch one of the sides with the other
                              That's correct.

Comment

oh haha very funny jokes on me

Comment

Working...
                                X