KOTM Apr 2009 greeneyedream

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411

Touring 411 Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
zuma
Kat King

Well thank you. Mighty nice of you. That was back in 2009 and 2010. But I never stopped for more than a few hours going up and maybe a snooze on a picnic table coming back.

In 2009 I was supposed to meet CenCalKat on I-20 in West Texas and ride an hour or so with him and come back home. He is a gun toting Cali cop; the Border Patrol stopped him at their checkpoint near El Paso and detained him for two hours because of the gun, and I decided to ride ahead, all the way to just this side of Fort Worth, 400 miles away. I was eating a steak dinner provided by my best friend who lives in Weatherford, got the call from CenCal who had just hit town around supper time and I took off and met him at a 7/11.

I asked him if he'd ever ridden through Dallas (Friday night, very risky on bikes, I'd never ridden there or any place like it before---makes Memphis traffic look like Andy's Mayberry. ).

"No, I'm counting on you to get us through that," he grinned.

"Well, let's hit it!" and we did. It was horrendous with cagers doing crazy stuff and the mohawk helmeted crotch rocketeers zipping past us like we were going backwards, and we were both hitting 85 and better.

We made it somehow and were at the rally two afternoons later.

I went on my own the following summer, stopped only for gas and burgers, and made it to the rally a half day earlier. After owning 7 bikes (3 Kats, then my fav a zzr1200) my wife and I retired from teaching high school and moved to our place in the Rockies of western Colorado where we farm, board horses, raise much of our own food in a large geodesic grow dome, fish, hike, and I am house musician at a local bar on Fridays. Groovy things, though I dug teaching 12th grade English too...but don"t miss it.

I'd go for the Nelson Rigg bags. They are superb, and yes there are bears on the roads here. A friend of mine is still recovering from hitting a full grown one on his Gold Wing about four miles away three summers ago. Some of the wildlife here can devour you...mountain lions frequent our 10 acres too. Be groovy!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #12
Lunatic
Poser

eBay ID: gixer11r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suerte View Post
..and if i have my garage / guest house finished by then even provide you a place to crash for a night or two
This quote is full of awesome. That's hospitality at its finest. Kudos to you.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #13
Suerte
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
This quote is full of awesome. That's hospitality at its finest. Kudos to you.
Its the south, what do you expect lmao. i always try to pay it forward, an old forum i was a part of had a member that gave me a whole engine he wasnt using. so i always try to do good things for ppl in bike forums. we gotta stick together!

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411