X

Exhaust Repack Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Repack Question

Okay everybody I was wondering is it packing in an exhaust that give them distinct tones or is it the actual baffle?Can you use a different company`s packing and get their tone such as Yoshi sounding like D&D, D&D sounding like Yoshi ect..................
    1990 Kat 750 GSXR750 cams Barnetts clutch kit Yoshimura full exhaust

Packing is packing . It's a universal part .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
      Packing is packing . It's a universal part .

I would think the same thing.

When I did my Yoshi, all that the packing is, is a fiberglass "pillow" and steel wool. That's it. Any other tone or sound would need to come from the physical construction of the exhaust itself.

Unless you repack with less of the packing.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

So if I use less packing will there be noticable difference in volume?

Comment

The packing and its density will affect the "sharpness" of the exhaust sound. The different companies use different size tubes in the can and different styles and sizes of perforations in the tubes. Many of the "quiet" cans put a baffle in the tube that forces the exhaust into the outer part of the can. Also affecting the sound volume is the thickness of the cans shell.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgado View Post
            So if I use less packing will there be noticable difference in volume?
            Yes, but before you go wasting any money, Home Depot has bags of steelwool for cheap. I've used only steelwool in the past and had good results.

The more corse the better. and pack it tight.

Comment

Thanks everyone.I`ve got a yoshi full exhaust.Not sure what model but it`s an older one for pre98.Overall it has a nice sound but a little too quiet.Can the baffle be taken out for more output?

Comment

If it's the tube with holes then taking it out would make it just an open can. If it has an actual baffle in it then you could probably replace that with a tube with holes style. Just an open can would make a lot more noise and with proper jetting may make decent power but probably would be "socially unacceptable".

Comment

Working...
                X