X

can't get the glue off!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get the glue off!

hey all. I removed my decals from a 93 katana I have and the glue is not coming off.. I have tried scraping it with heat, goo off.. even gasoline! I left them in the sun covered in pb blaster.. soaked in windex.. idk what else to do.. I really wanna keep the blue color but when any dust or dirt comes in to contact, it makes it very visible... any ideas!??
    93 Kat 750
    02 RAM 1500
    04 BMW X3
    ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

They sell bumper sticker remover. Only works if the glue is still soft. Hardened glue usually ends in a paint job.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Have you tried wd 40 ? scrub brush than hot soap & water.
      maybe a very light wet sanding with 800 to 1000 grit and then some compound and wax
      Last edited by loneraider; 05-16-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Bug and tar remover works.....
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Orange stuff will work to take it off, and is paint safe. I'd suggest if it's hardened adhesive, that you allow it to sit for a bit with it applied to soften it up.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

X2 on what Krey said. "Goo Gone" is citric acid based and will not hurt the ABS.

Do NOT use 'Goof Off' - not the same thing AT ALL and WILL melt ABS because it has Xylene in it. Acetone will also melt it. Denatured alky will not melt it.

If it gets sticky when heated with the heat gun, you can also take some disposable cotton rags and heat, let the adhesive stick to the rag and pull it off. It is slow going, but most of the time works. Duct tape is another one...stick it to the heated adhesive, press it on real good and pull it off.

Comment

Working...
            X