Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Brake light not working properly (tail light fine)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light not working properly (tail light fine)

I'm working on soldering some broken cables on my wiring harness. While my tail light works, my brake light does not.

I was looking at bypassing the rear brake actuator's brake light switch and running a line straight to the terminal at the front brake actuator. I busted out the multimeter, and the rear connector (as viewed when sitting on the bike) is the ground, while the "front" is the positive lead.

However, the front connector puts out a constant 12V, regardless of whether the front brake lever is pulled. I already straightened the bike and handlebars to ensure that the brake lever wasn't pushing against the instrument panel. I ran a new ground on the front brake lever as well to attempt to resolve the problem. No dice. If I connect a wire to the positive terminal on the front brake lever, the brake light comes on and stays on regardless of lever position. Am I correct in assuming that the on/off switch inside of the front brake actuator is shot, or is there another potential cause?

Either the front or rear switch failing will show 12v to both sides of a switch. Pull the hand control switch wires and measure continuity across the switch, should be open till the lever is pulled. If it shows good, do the same to the rear. If it shows good, you have a short.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

... Operator error. The switch IS responding as it should. Looks like I didn't turn the wheel far enough away from lock (headlight bracket is bent, so instrument panel pushes in on brake lever when locked) when I stood up the bike. Simple short after all. Both connecting wires are shorted before the rear switch splice, so it looks like I have to solder a new ground from the switches to the otherwise working common ground wire and run new + leads.

Comment

Working...
      X